Now presuming I am not in the middle of the Atlantic at the time, I would like to have one of my swords, evaluated at the Shinsa in Chigago.

Plus it would be a good excuse to drink some good sake with Milt for a few nights!! I've never been to Chicago, except for the flippin' airport.

Trouble is that I have no idea on the routine. I want to submit a wakizashi and also the koshirae that it is in.

Does this mean I will need to submit separate applications (i.e. blade, tsuba, f/k, etc) and pay $75.00 for each plus $75.00 if they pass, or will they look at everything together under one application and issue certifications (if worthy) as applicable?

I guess if it is the former it is wise to have and independant evaluation by one of the more experienced dealers beforehand to see if it is worth submittal.

In addition is there a cut off date after which applications are not accepted? Or is it just when all the slots are full?

Cheers

here is a link and a page for the shinsa,

Yes youll need to submit each item.

http://www.midwesttokenkai.com/show/Welcome.html

SHINSA 2007

Nihon Token Hozon Kai

SHINSA: (evaluation)

A team of experts from Japan and America will evaluate sword blades, fittings that

make up the handle and other parts of the sword. The team will be headed by

Mr. Yoshikawa Eiichi; curator of swords for the Japanese Imperial Household Agency. The Shosoin Treasure House in Nara. The Seikado Museum Collection and the

polisher for The Imperial Household.

The items will be evaluated for authenticity and if deemed correct or meet the criteria

of the Shinsa team, papers will be issued for the item. The papers are issued from

Japan a few months later.

COST: $75. for each item submitted and $75. additional for each item that papers are issued, for a total of $150. ($75. if no papers are issued)

No one will be allowed to submit to the Shinsa except during their reservation time slot. The early reservations have the best chance of receiving their choice of sessions.

The number of reservations is limited, early reservations are recommended.

Shinsa Results Explanations: Each day will feature a question and answer session with the

Shinsa team from 6:00-7:00 pm. Anyone submitting items for Shinsa will be able to bring their

questions about Shinsa results directly to the Shinsa team. Translations will be provided.

The exact time will depend upon when the Shinsa team finishes for the day.

Reservations must be made in advance for each item submitted.

Send $75. for each item reservation. Make check payable to; Marc Porpora

Mail to:

Stuart Broms - 7 Foster Drive - Des Moines, IA. 50312

Phone 515-979-3388 - E-mail stuart@iowarealty.com

Thanks Stephen,

So I ned to specify what item I am submitting, so that when I give them the blade in it's koshirae they won't look at the Tsuba by accident!!!

Do you know whether anyone gives (limited liability) appraisals so that I will know whether it is even worth submitting to shinsa. Will dealers like Moses do that sort of thing?

Cheers

Kapitan,

go to the Tampa show this Feb. and talk to the Chicago show organiser Marc Popora ( he's the bald guy with the teppo ), I am sure he'll clear everything up for you.

I intend to go to the Chicago show one day early, corner some of the judges ( get 'em a wee bit tipsy with CHEAP liquor, or a smoke out pow wow with Yoshikawa Sensei ) and get an early opinion on some of the items I want to submit.\.......... cut down on the pinkie percentage that way.

milt THE ronin

I think I will miss the Florida show, Milt....

The Miami boat show is on right after, and I will have lots of Japanese clients in for the week prior and post boat show..... it is one of the busiest times of the year for our company...

But Chicago is a possibility.... However I may be in Yokohama however at that time too... for the six weeks leading up to the Yokohama Boat Show,,,, Dammit!! But right now business takes precedence over hobbies!!

Anyway we will see... I would like to come to Chicago and if I do I will bring some very good Sake and Shochu!!!!

I may give my sword to Mo or someone to submit on my behalf,

Cheers

• 2 months later...

ye all,

just let you know that the block of rooms at the special rate are sold out !!

Book the rooms now if you still want the " reasonable " rate at 129 + tax before you wind up in the presidential suite at 159+.......................

milt the ronin

Hi Milt -- something I don't understand about the room rate. It said in the advertisments for the show that reservations should be made by March 31st for the special room rate. It didn't say 'limited number available'. Also I am curious if the reservation fees for the shinsa are refundable if you can't go. It does not say in the ads. If you know anything about these issues please let me (us) know.

Pete, et al.,

Technically the rooms are not sold out. There are rooms available, but the hotel made a unilateral decision to waive the show rate availibility until the March 31st date contrary to prior agreement. This has created a huge problem for Marc and Stuart which they are dealing with the best they can. So..

In speaking with Marc, he relayed to me that there have been ancilliary arrangements made to help the situation. Contact him directly via email so he can advise you of the arrangements at:

ichimonji7@sbcglobal.net

These guys are making huge efforts to bring everyone a good show, and this hotel situation really put a bind on them. I would also advise folks to keep their tempers in check with the hotel for the sake of the show. Cutting loose on the hotel won't make the situation any better, won't force them to grant the show room rated, and will likely just create more issues for Marc and Stuart at this point.

ye all,

from what I understand, the block of rooms are sold out at the special show rate and the hotel would not assign more rooms to Marc..........

still, at 129, it's like the room rate at Tampa show............

see you all there.

milt the ronin

The reality of it is that the show had to commit to a *minimum* amount of room nights that the show would bring in, but there was no maximum amount or limit set by the hotel initially. It was arranged as an open ended amount past the minimum as was done in past years. Marc's contact at the hotel assured him that the rate would be held until the March 31st deadline without a cap based on the past history of the show and how many rooms were reserved therein. The hotel changed it's position a several days ago that they would not continue to book rooms under the rate. So there wasn't supposed to be a maximum number to sell out of, only a date at which the show rate would expire. That's why the date is on the show flyer. This is purely a hotel managment decision and they will not budge from it despite prior show history or arrangements.

Marc contacted another hotel about three miles away to try and make some kind of ancilliary arrangements for folks, but obviously it'll involve a cab ride to/from the show site, and it's not clear how much that'll cost. However he asked me to post it here if folks would like to look into it as an option;

The Chicago Schaumberg Marriot

50 Martingale

Phone (800)228-9290

Single Room $89.00

Double $99.00 (BUT, this is for a King bed with a rollaway, they have no "two" bed rooms available)

As Milt said the $129.00 is in the neighborhood of other shows, and with a cab ride to save $30.00 per night at the Schaumberg Marriot, the benefits are up to the individual to judge. For those that are driving to the show, it might make more sense than to those that are flying in.

Again, I'd encourage folks to contact Marc directly if they need more info on accomodations or shinsa.

• 3 weeks later...

dudes und dudettes,

I was informed that the NTHK Jersey shinsa papers from last year are all states side and are in the process of being mailed out to all lucky recipients who were not pinkied.............

that is all.

milt

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..