Newbie please help

storm76la

Let me say up front, please excuse my lack of knowledge of terms. This blade is in traditional military mounts. I bought it about two years ago and I have tried off and on unsucessfully to traslate the mei. The only person I know in the area with any knowledge on Japanese blades is the man whom I purchased the blade from. I just would like confirmation that I can trust him. I have been reading this fourm for a few days and I believe there are some people here who wish to truly help those of us who are begining to learn. I do not wish to sell this blade only to learn the history. I also bought two others that I would like help with. Thank you in advance.Also the red writing is this something the military put on here? Why are there regular numbers on it? Is it possible this blade is older and retrofitted for military use? Again thank you very much.

Jason

post-1625-14196768853961_thumb.jpg

post-1625-14196768856792_thumb.jpg

post-1625-1419676885778_thumb.jpg

Jason,

The signature reads, "Noshu Seki no Ju Kanehiro Saku", made by resident of Seki, Mino Province, Kanehiro. The red characters are the nimber 2005 followed by 4. The numbers are for inventory purposes. The Showa Arsenal stamp above the signature guarantees that the blade dates to the WWII era (late 30s to 1945).

Grey

Again thank you for the help. Even though I do not plan on selling it, do you think it is worth the $1,200 I paid for it? Jason

Need closeups of the blade to be sure and the Koshirae as well, but i think you did just fine Jason, Gunto prices are still up these days and they sell fast if priced right. ;)

Before we have ppl rushing out and buying Showato for $1200, I would point out that this appears to be top end for a normal WW2 arsenal Showa sword.

I wouldn't call it a bargain, however for a militaria collector it may be ok. I would think that under $1000 would be a better price to pay. Just my 2c.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..