Dealers vs Collectors = Show survival

Ok, I've thought about this too much over the years, and listened to more ideas than I can remember. Collectors go to the shows, to buy new items for study, to expand their knowledge, and add additions to their collections. Dealers go to the show to sell and make a profit, to cover their expense, and to buy new acquisitions for sale.

The cause of concern I see, from others, is the decreasing # of show attendees, as well as dealer participation. It's the chicken or the egg syndrome. When the # of one decreases, it directly reduces the # of the other; a dangerous impact on the future of this great education, study, and dare I say, hobby !!!

How to correct this future event ?? Well, if it's about the money, there are much safer, more effective ways. But it's not. This is a pure, raw form of adventure, intrigue, and challenge; that places those who participate, in a unique position in life. You have only one tour of duty on planet Earth, make it a good one.

Dealers should support and understand the buyers, that's their reason for the shows; and you don't always have a buyer. Buyers need to understand the dealers; they need a sale; and a reason to be at the show. The merchandise is limited, a real self limiting problem !!! What we have, is those who have, and those who want. The accumulation over the years, by those who have, have produced great collections, but, if they are locked away, seldom seen, their value of beauty, art, and history; are lost. I feel, one should look inside, see if they are appreciating their treasurers; and if it's just human accumulation, may I be vulgar " hoarding "; maybe it's time to put their treasurers back in the in the pool; for the next generation to discover; as no one can take it with them in the end; and most relatives who inherit these nihonto treasurers; know nothing of their value or even care. it's just a quick sale for the dollars.

This is the last and only source of show, dealer, and collector survival. To grow and maintain the study of nihonto, everyone must take an active part, understand the lifeforce of the study, and embrace whatever they feel they need to do to improve the whole. One of my favorite times of the shows, is when the older collector decides to move their treasurers, and basically interviews those whom they feel would deserve, cherish, and respect the responsibility; of their long term pieces; they have held for their live of collecting. Alright, I feel better that I've said my piece. Thanks to all that are involved, in any way with this study.

Gary Wortham

• Like 1

Here is an example of what Gary was talking about. Jim Kurrasch (now deceased) always brought "Old" swords to look at to the San Francisco show. I got to know Jim and looked forward to learning something from him every year. Once I got to know "old" swords and expressed an interest Jim took note. Next year he asked if I was still interested in an "old" sword. He later introduced me to a man (Min Shintaku - now deceased) who had an "old" sword - one hole ubu late Heian, early Kamakura ko Naminohira tachi - my oldest and longest sword. It took more than two years of letters and calls before I got to see the blade. The following year I was allowed to buy it. The person who owned it wanted to be sure that I would take good care of it. So I too now care for his treasure sword. It will be a long time before I look for the next generation of care giver. So it is with some swords - they are passed on when the time is right.

• Like 1

My perspective:

The main reason for the sudden decline in show participation is most likely due to the recession, being experienced by most of the economic superpowers. I am not too concerned about the longevity of our hobby, or a changing of the guard. Why? Because, the Samurai will always be one of the most intriguing subjects in world history, and fine nihonto will always have value based on its own merit. I.E., as long a people value great craftsmanship.

Similarly, I am not concerned with the capitalistic element that sword dealers bring. If it were not for this, the motivation to bring the community education, fine study pieces and the shows themselves, would not be there.

However, I am concerned with lack of ethics. I have got to say, of all my hobbies, the lack of ethics with many in Nihonto is very surprising, especially since Samurai Bushido is diametrically apposed to this type of behavior. In the short time I have been collecting at a high level, I have learned who to trust and am still learning who to avoid. There are sharks at every show. If anything, this is what will hurt the hobby in the long term. However, I feel those of us, who have much invested, will inevitably come to the rescue of the greater good.

Now, I truly understand the purpose of this forum. Thanks!

Jon

• Like 1

I have got to say, of all my hobbies, the lack of ethics with many in Nihonto is very surprising, especially since Samurai Bushido is diametrically apposed to this type of behavior.

Jon

I am always amused about the romantic notion of Japan's history with everyone being so completely honorable and sticking religiously to a code of ethics that was never ever broken.

There has been plenty of sharks, dodgy ethics, double dealing, rip offs, back-stabbers, and general skull-duggery, through all classes of society in Japan for the last few thousand years, just like the rest of the world; and still is today, in the world of Nihonto and just about everything else.

That is part of the reason that Japanese history, like European history, is so damn interesting.

Cheers!

ps... this is not a response to your point, Jon, which I neither agree nor disagree with; just to the wording you used that caught my eye :)

All,

Although I have attended the SF show in the past, I am more familiar with the situation here in the UK. Over the years I have observed several other factors that impinge upon our passion / hobby. Firstly the supply of swords available to collectors is ever declining. Every year some are handed in to the police, or to museums, whilst others are destroyed by accidents. These are swords that are taken permanently out of circulation. Others become less desirable by neglect, accidental damage or sheer ignorance on the part of their owners and hence drop in desirability.

Secondly there are two cyclical factors at play. The first of these is related to fashion. During the late 19th century there was a fashion for all things Japanese, including arms and armour. Anyone who was anyone went on the Grand Tour and brought back an armour and swords, displaying them in their homes to show how wealthy / cultured they were. Within a couple of decades the fashion changed and these objects were relegated to cellars and attics or given to museums. By the 1920's a few European scholars such as Koop were beginning to take notice of this material and there was another brief flowering of interest. By the end of WWII anything Japanese was very much out of fashion. I have talked to some of the old guys who bought tea-chests full of armour for 10/- in the London salerooms. By the 1970's interest was again on the rise and has continued ever since. The second cycled, superimposed on the first relates to the collectors. During a period of interest, collectors sweep up what is available. This material does not in general appear on the market until they die. Sometimes the second generation might hold the collection together, but ultimately an inheritor will have no interest and that collection becomes available again. Thus there is a cycled of about 30 years or so which takes material off the market and puts it on again.

Finally there is the matter of price. As interest grows, prices grow. We have now reached the point where a half-decent sword will cost a considerable proportion of an average persons annual income. We are also, as has been pointed out, in a recession. Interest will in this situation wane. For a period a year or so ago, the exchange rate favoured the UK in buying from Japan and the US. As a result, swords flowed in to this country. The situation has now changed and we will see the flow reversed.

Ian Bottomley

Nice selection of diverse responses. I myself, look for the best and live for the positive; and there are those whose response, have similar tones. Yet, I feel in others a sense of negative, and have the worst, as their forefront of thoughts. We are not Samuari, and most are not Japanese on this site; and it makes me wonder, why we are to inherit the code of a culture, we were not from or trained to understand !!

Ok, I'll bite; Jon, you said, " Now I truly understand the purpose of this forum " ; please do me the favor of expanding and defining your thoughts to that quote.

Thanks to Barry, for your insight; and maybe; I will earn the position and honor from someone in the years to come, to be the next carekeeper of a most deserving piece of history and art. Also, Ian, your thoughts and wisdom are always welcome, and your valuable contributions; are in inside view needed by all; on the countless subjects to be discussed.

Gary Wortham

Gary:

It seems like you are calling me out. So, OK, I'll take the bait.

I was simply trying to respond to what I thought you were getting at, "collectors vs. dealers= show survival," and turn it into a cogent discussion. What I meant by "Now I truly understand the purpose of this forum" is that I now realize why the moderators are so strict with content being on point. It is to educate the collector to think for himself, hopefully resulting in better decisions. It was sort of a little Ah-ha moment, that does not come too often for a stubborn Irishman. I don't see how that is negative.

Now, if you are speaking about my opinion on the lack of ethics of a few people at the shows. That is just what I see from the perspective of a new collector looking in. You are right, that is negative.

I do understand and appreciate the power of positive thinking, but I have become pragmatist lately. Sorry to offend.

Jon

Greetings to Jon; Many thanks for your additional response and further depth of explanation. No, I wasn't calling you out, no offense taken, and glad to have an intelligent response, since many read, but don't reply. I just wanted to see further into the thoughts, of others such as yourself, on the subject. I've gone to most of the US shows since 1998, and have watched, as the normal changes of evolution, has occurred at the shows; as it does with all other aspects of life. The shows such as San Francisco are still great, need everyones support, and the best way to grow in the masses of those who are in this study together.

A previous dialog talked of the lack of the new and younger generation, entering this field; due to expense, time to understand, and available way to participate. This is where the shows shine. Putting one dollar a day, aside in a jar, saves $365.in a year; enough for airfare, shared room, and show entrance. What a great adventure to begin a a newbee. This is where the light turns on for many, and the value of choosing something of merit, as a way of time spent, begins. Ok, enough from me, and I need to pick a subject of sword or fittings for my educational benefit; but where to begin ?????

Gary Wortham

This was an interesting show. Attendance was good.

I would go next year in a heart beat. Good to see some of you there as well.

Many new collectors were present along with a good showing of

seasoned verteran collectors. I did hear dealer complaints and saw a number

bail out Sat. late. Rather not see that as I wanted to talk to a couple of them

but could not.

Myself I did an even trade that I really appreciate. Thanks Barry for your always

welcome comments at the show. Some things you really need to feel and see to

understand. For instance "the sword will find you". Heard that while there

and that has to be at this kind of event to ever happen.

The floor had been reduced 20% and the rows widened, I heard.

I would be on the side of those who would

blame the recession for the decline.

As soon as I can learn how to post pics I wll give you the ones I took.

kind regards

Bill delagrange

Hope it's not too late to chime in. As a newbie I found the SF show extremely valuable. It was a wonderful first experience. I found those in attendance to be very generous with their time and knowledge when I simply explained that I was completely new to this hobby. This show was the perfect way for me to gain some wonderful information and meet several people who have continued to assist in my quest for knowledge in this arena. Let me encourage all who still categorize themselves as newbies (like me) to set aside a small amount of $ each day as previously suggested and make the trip to the next show you can attend. Like the commercial says, the experience will be "priceless". Thanks to all of you who made it possible.

Charlie B.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..