Would appreciate some help (follow up)

Rabro

Many thanks for the time and effort to review some obviously pretty bad photos, which I have now replaced with some better views. The photos 10 thru 20 are fairly hi res scans of the blade, photos 20a thru 30a are close ups taken in natural light and 42a thru 44a are taken in normal indoor lighting and show what one sees normally.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... id=1735706

The above shows a good representation of the steel and the flaws within it, there are a number of openings that follow the ji hada and various ware and chips in the blade. There is also clearly visible nie in the hamon and the boshi with nie/nioi in the hada.

When I got this blade it had been fairly badly ground in what appeared to have been an attemp to open a window of sorts and the yokote had been removed from one side completely. I took this blade back to raw steel and made a quick first pass polish with the last four stones to see what was there and this is what came through. (As you can se it is only a rough polish)

Don't be confused by the habaki, it came off an Oei Bizen tachi that I recently lost on a flight to NYC, it just fitted rather well.

As far as acid goes, I know nothing about this arena but I would guess that it produces a surface effect??? which I would also guess should largely be removed during polishing and there was absolutely nothing visible in the ground "window" prior to polishing.

I am still left with many questions so if anyone would be willing to invest a few minutes to take a look I would still very much appreciate it.

Many thanks, Roger

Ps I am in Santiago Chile so there are no clubs or authorities even remotely near.

Not so sure its a Chinese crapper, Roger. The Yokote gives me a feeling it may be Nihonto. It is a good candidate for your learning experiences with the stones with all the kizu and such, and that one side is shot your not going to hurt much. I think the acid dialog is from people seeing swords that had a acid wash to bring out the hada. being that your grinding away on it you might want to remove some rust close to the hamachi to see if you can find some file marks, the Chinese did not dress the nakago up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..