Michiyoshi Tanto

pcfarrar

Anyone have any thoughts on this mei.

Appears to be signed Bishu Inuyama ju Michiyoshi and dated 1867. I can't find much information on Michiyoshi apart from that he is a student of Aizu Michitoki. Anyone have any oshigata of Michiyoshi to compare?

Thanks,

Peter

post-9-14196765796332_thumb.jpg

post-9-14196765797074_thumb.jpg

post-9-14196766796323_thumb.jpg

post-9-14196766797101_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Actually, your tanto is signed, “Bishu Inuyama ju Michiaki [尾州犬山住道暁],” instead of “Michiyoshi [道賀]” (who was a student of Aizu Michitoki) you mentioned. According to my reference books, there were a few smiths who signed “Bishu Inuyama ju MichiXXX” in Owari province at the end of the Edo period. I believe they were all related smiths in the same family or school. However, I cannot find any specific information about Bishu Michiaki other than that he was active from the Bunsei through the Genji eras. Since the date inscription says “August, the 3rd year of Keio,” the blade is probably one of the very last blades made by Michiaki. (Though I could not find any oshigata of Michiaki's mei, chances are that the mei on this tanto is shoshin because you hardly ever find any gimei of a shin-shinto period "nami-saku" smith anyways.)

Dr. T

Dr T..

Always a pleasure to have you posting here. Good info there, thanks. Hope all is well with you. I trust all members have his website bookmarked as there is a wealth of info there, by Dr T and Guido too.

Brian

Thank you for your kind words. Though I don't post that much, I still check out this board regularly and enjoy reading most of the threads. :)

Hi,Hawley's entry with MIC 6 has the wrong name:Michiasa instead of Michiaki (Nihonto Meikan page 923)!Ludolf

Ludolf,

Sorry to be a pain but is it possible for you to send me a scan or photo of the Nihonto Meikan page 923? None of my friends have the book so its proving a little difficult to get a copy.

Thanks.

Peter

Peter, the Nihontô Meikan only states that he signed "Bishû Inuyama jû Michiaki 尾州犬山住道暁" and "Bishû Inuyama jû Michiaki saku kore 尾州犬山住道暁作之", that he was from Owari 尾張 and worked ca. Tempô 天保 - that's all she wrote ... :|

Thanks for your help. I thought the meikan might have an oshigata to compare.

The blade itself is quite nice and has a very thick kasane, with 8" nagasa. Nie based notare hamon with nijuba and sunagashi. Looks very soshu, also has a mitsu mune.

As he signed "Bishu Inuyama ju" would he have been a retained sword smith for the Naruse clan in Inuyama castle?

• 11 years later...

Nice to meet you. Posted from Japan.

I am interested in and researching Inuyama swordsmiths.

Its been 12 years ago, so I don't know if you still own it, but if you still own it, could you show me the whole image?

Excuse me in Japanese, but this is my survey record page.

Inuyama swordsmiths

My mail address  gogarasu44@gmail.com

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..