Bizen - Norihisa katana

GARY WORTHAM

As a long shot, I have a 70cm katana - signed Norihisa, that I believe to be koto Bizen. Hawley's book has him as 1334, late Kamakura.

koshi-zori, 2.4cm sori, hi = bobi with soebi, jifu utsuri, chu kissaki, boshi - midare komi with kaeri, ko-mokume, and chu midare hamon, nioi deki, Can't really find anything on this smith and surrounding details & info. Figured those with better books might fill in the blanks.

Now that's about all I can say till I become trained on the art of photography of blades. This is a vision of the near future.

Let me know any thoughts and ideas of age, school, smith's info, etc. Thanks !!! Gary Wortham

post-1554-14196764759149_thumb.jpg

post-1554-14196764761197_thumb.jpg

Gary,

Apart what has been said by Jacques, I cannot add anything but just give a reminder :

Without an overall picture of the blade, a few close-up pictures of the kissaki it is impossible to say anything more than what Jacques has already stated (nakago Jiri ..)

If it is Bizen(late kamakura/nambokucho), we should expect (there are exceptions but scarce) a nioi deki blade.

Greetings to Jacques & Jean, Yes, pictures would be great and soon, in the future, i will go there. Yet, those with great sword books, may have further insite into this smith. There is, in Hawleys, another Norihisa, 1521, late Muromachi, that maybe this is the one. Adddtional thoughts ???? Gary Wortham

Gary,

I checked my "Index of Japanese Sword Literature" and the only Norihisa that made it into any of the 63 included references was a Gendai smith. The index includes all the standard, and quite a few obscure, references so it isn't likely that anyone will be able to help you with a book.

Since the few Norihisa smiths listed in Hawleys that might have signed katana mei before Gendai times are all from Bizen, you need to decide if this sword is a Bizen blade. If so, it is likely one of those smiths but you won't get further information on just which one. If not, then it is most likely gi-mei.

Hope this helps. Grey

Thanks for the extra thoughts Grey !!! This idea of gi-mei for such a meager ranked smith, 15 > 20 points in Hawleys book, sparks this thought. Why would anyone add a fake signature for such an obscure smith such as this ??? Not a big name, not of big value, not a rare sword or workmanship; not of great age, etc. Makes no sense. What are the thoughts of others ??? I see gi-mei tossed around with such a common effect, that I'm not such of any except for the blunt, obvious examples. In the book of Hizen Tadayoshi, by Roger Robershaw, I love his dialog of the stated gi-mei signature removed; and the blade submitted to shinsa, only to return with the attribution to the smith who's signature was just removed. What a challenge we have before us. Gary Wortham

Gary,

It is actually quite common to see a gimei of an unknown smith. Think about it: if you're doing a fake of Kotetsu your customers have tons of references to check; if you're faking a smith who doesn't appear in a reference... I've seen a few blades I was convinced were Gunto, but with signatures of unknowns from centuries earlier.

About the gimei Hizen blades that paper to the smith in the gimei after the mei is removed: this also makes perfect sense. A judgment that a signature is faked doesn't say anything about the work on the blade, only about the signature. Many gimei were probably originally meant as attributions, not as trickery. Still, the shinsa team can't certify the work separate from the signature; the fake has to be removed.

Grey

Ok Grey, had to think about that for a while, and now, I wonder how in the world, someone would pull out a smith, such as Norihisa, out of a selection, of such vast choices, as is representated by the resource book, of Hawleys smiths ???? How would they pick from the 5 major traditions; a smith of the age, style, workmanship, etc, and on and on. Can't seem to wrap my head around the concept. Gary Wortham

Gary,

I said that, since there are no references with which to compare the mei, you need to look at the blade and decide if it is Bizen. If so it likely is what it says: Norihisa. Only if the blade isn't right for Sue-Koto Bizen do you need to consider the possibility of gimei.

OK? Grey

Thanks Grey, for the wisdom and insight from your years of experience. I find that to learn, study, advance; requires the mental challenge, and conflicts of the mind, that make one think, stress, anguish, and push to resolve a challenge, that is self inflicted; creating its of unique self sense of reward; which can only be accomplished with the benefits of those like yourself. Talk again. Gary Wortham

Hi Jean, Working on photo skills as we speak. Here's 4 new close ups of the 2 mekugi-ana. The original photo showed just the lower, smaller by the signature. Let me know if these photos resolve your questions. And, thanks for the great insite and mental exchange !! Gary Wortham

post-1554-14196764839337_thumb.jpg

post-1554-14196764840391_thumb.jpg

post-1554-14196764842279_thumb.jpg

post-1554-14196764842888_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..