Menuki & Tsuba theme - Kazan & Jittoku & ???

GARY WORTHAM

On a Koto - Nobukuni 3rd tanto, I see that the theme of the Chinese Buddhist monk, Kazan is on the tsuba, holding his scroll, containing the wisdom of the world; and is matched with the menuki of his faithful servant, Jittoku; as one of the menuki, carrying his attribution on a broom on his shoulders. However, the other matching menuki, seems to be another individual, of whom I am not sure of the identify, and how it ties into the overall theme.

My cluster questions: the other individual; fittings > age, maker, school, etc. As well as all thoughts of wisdom and brilliance.

Gary Wortham

post-1554-14196764750797_thumb.jpg

post-1554-14196764751767_thumb.jpg

post-1554-14196764752745_thumb.jpg

I am not familiar with the subject of the tanto tsuba the Chinese Buddhist monk, Kazan. The menuki appear to show a classical Hotei (large Zen Buddhist Monk holding a bag) design. Who is Jittoku is he related to Hotei and how is he related to Kazan? The person on the menuki(s) appear to me to be the same person at two slightly different perspectives. I common design seen in menuki sets. Thanks for sharing the menuki(s) and tsuba I really like the design and craftsmanship of the pieces. If you could post photographs of the whole tanto koshirae that would be great. If the menuki and tsuba are any indication then the koshirase should be really nice. Thank you.

Yours David S.(Soshin)

Hi David; Thanks for appreciating the fittings. I really liked them when I saw the fully mounted Sun nobi tanto; and was a major decision factor in my purchase. I agree with you as to the other menuki being Hotei, but I am in the dark as to why he is being associated with Kazan and Jittoku. Was hoping someone with Japanese heritage would fill in the blanks. This will show you how the one carrying the broom is Jittoku and Kazan with the scroll, very well documented in the internet history.

The fuchi and kashira are of the Mino Goto school, signed Yoshinaga, and are a very well cut set, of the typical floral & bug motif, they seem to enjoy as their theme.

As to more info on these 2 and there history; search on the internet for them as; Kazan & Jittoku, for their Japanese search response, and as Han-shan and Shih-te for the Chinese historical interpretation. Enjoy !!! Gary Wortham

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..