Yamato Senjuin katana - Yoshihiro

GARY WORTHAM

Ok, here's one of my tough ones !!! 69cm blade length, 1.7cm sori, tori-zori, tachi mei, mokume with itame, ko-choji madare hamon, boshi - kaen [ hakikake ], late Kamakura or early Nanbokucho, hi - marudome, chu - kissaki, and kiri yasurime. Comes with a great piece of it's history of WWII Japan acquisition. Would appreciate any and all ideas of age, signature, smith, historical data, etc.

I know how difficult it is for thoughts holding the actual blade, so this is a long shot; yet the mass winds of wisdom has greatly impressed me more times than I could count over the years.

Gary Wortham

post-1554-14196764577923_thumb.jpg

post-1554-14196764583892_thumb.jpg

In fact Gary, what are you requesting : a kantei? yamato senjuin, is it your kantei or is it issue from some papers?

From Sho shin site

YOSHIHIRO KO-EI 1342 YAMATO 742 YOS 143 JO-JO 600 SENJUIN

YOSHIHIRO KO-EI to BUN-WA: Possibly son or pupil of GO YOSHIHIRO.

Made RYOBA TANTO. MASAME HADA. Used both "Shed" and "Bow"

forms of HIRO.

MEI: YOSHIHIRO

MINAMOTO YOSHIHIRO

FUJIWARA YOSHIHIRO OITE WASHU TAKADA SAKU

YAMATO-no-KUNI SENJUIN JU MINAMOTO YOSHIHIRO

Hello,

At present, we only could say this sword was suriage, and with 4 mekugi ana which suppose it had 4 differents mounts, at least ;)

waiting for new pictures :D

Sebastien

Don't forget the one that's partially filled again and I even think the bottom one was redrilled at one point, so that makes 6 ;)

As Jean says, what are you asking? Do you know already what/who it is? Are you asking for a kantei or checking what your papers say?

Without pictures it is almost impossible to comment beyond the signature....and to me, it also looks like it could be Yoshikane.

Let us know what you want,

Regards,

george Trotter.

Thanks for all the great ideas, comments, and advice so far. Jean, nice call on the son or pupil of Go Yoshihiro, and 1342. Thanks exactly what I felt it could be. I have never had it papered, just not found the right time, but will someday after I retire.

The nakago was mentioned as cleaned, by another. Well, as a long time collector and student of the study of Japanese swords and fittings, I can assure you it was not touched by me, and the collector I got it from, years back, was of the same respectful nature. Maybe the lighting threw you off on the appearance.

As for more pictures, my skill is developing with the photography, and has just reached the fittings level. As anyone with blade photo experience can say, that is an art within itself, to capture the blade, boshi, and the activity within them. Yet, this is my new personal challenge, and if I am successful, I will add photos. Thanks !! Gary Wortham

Greetings; to Franco & Jacques = answers to questions;

Bohi - both sides

Nagasa - 69cm

Motohaba - 27mm

Motokasane - 7mm

Sakihaba - 20mm

Sakikasane - 4mm

Let me know how this data fits into your current line of thinking. I always ask my sword study teacher, over the years; What do you see ???

Gary Wortham

Let me know how this data fits into your current line of thinking.

Gary Wortham

Hi, the measurements lend themselves as being acceptable for an earlier sword. Of course just to be a bit :evil: and throw a curveball, top Shinshinto artists produced exact proportioned copies too. The point being that the proof is in the sword, so, what do you see in the Jigane, is the boshi Kaen or Hakikake or both, describe the nie and nioi? Brighter better pics of the nakago? Is the kassane of the nakago the same or wider at any point before the munemachi?

Well, it seems that the more you work at it, the more difficult the journey becomes. That's the greatness of this line of education and study.

Additional photo of tang - a little better + bohi more visual & signature of a more normal look.

measurements of tang width:

at bohi - 25mm

2nd mekugi ana: 24mm

3rd: 23mm

4th = bottom: 21mm

tip of tang - nakagojiri: 19mm

Description question of boshi: looks to be a strong hakikae but could pass for kaen.

jigane activity: hamon looks to be ko-nie, with a lot of activity within it.

Reflective nature of metal and my camera are not one with nature, my new challenge. Gary Wortham

post-1554-14196764634665_thumb.jpg

Hi,

According my books nothing can be clearly established about Senjuin Yoshihiro even his work. the only thing we can be certain is the rarity of his works. Still according my books all blade with niji-mei should be from late Kamakura period, those with a naga-mei are made in Nanbokucho period. Imho the sugata of your blade does not match late kamakura ones.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..