Toshimuni ?

Hi

Please do not tell me what the name is if I got wrong. I am trying to learn to read mei. This is maybe not even the right sort of sword for this forum, in which case forgive me. It has a showa stamp on it. Yes, it is in military mounts.

I think it says Tsu shu (Tsushima) Toshi Muni Saku

Helpful, "you got the 3rd (or whatever) character wrong" comments are welcome though.

Cheers

Mark

post-1514-14196763528627_thumb.jpg

Mark,

I'd like to commend you on your approach here with respect to learning how to read mei. It's a fine way to interact while really helping yourself with efforts instead of just asking answers. I hope others will follow your lead.

:clap:

Hi Ted

Thanks, but I am starting to go a little :crazy:

I have referred to several books (Robinson and Scott Slough mostly) and I wonder if John Scott Slough got some wrong as I thought I matched "Seki" with an example he gave. Anyway....

Hi Koichi

OK, my final attempt unless I get at least 2 characters right

Gio or Yoki Gawa Masa Michi Saku

Please, if I do not have at least 2 right (if so, please tell me which ones are right), put me out of my misery and tell me what the mei actually is, please :cry:

Regards

Mark

Hi Koichi

Thank you very much for doing this.

Please, if I do not get it this time, please put me out my misery and tell me the full mei. I do not think he is such a worthy sword-smith to cause me such eye and head ache; the steel looks western and the hamon too regular (undulating).

Kiku Kawa Masa Nori OR Yoshi Saku

Excuse me.

:freak: Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh!

Thank you

Mark

Hi Koichi

Thank you very much :thanks: . I can see now the first character, the one you have doubts about. But it is actually the 4th character, the one you say is "tsugu", I have problems reconciling. Please do not get me wrong, :bowdown: I do not doubt what you say, it is just as long as I stare at the character on my tang and the one for tsugu, I just do not see it :dunno:

So thank you, I would never have got it.

Mark

it is just as long as I stare at the character on my tang and the one for tsugu, I just do not see it

Kanji in signatures can differ strongly from textbook examples. That's something you will encounter quite frequently. It's the same with our personal handwritings. Most of it cannot be deciphered by somebody, who is not familiar with Roman letters and our language in general. - After seeing and understanding many mei, you will get a feel for it.

reinhard

A big chunk of trouble in learning is that text books and online Kanji charts are print and the signatures on swords are handwriting; they often don't look alike.

(Watch out for blatant self promotion) My Kanji Flashcards are handwriting. Email for details if you're interested.

Grey

Grey's flashcards are indeed a great resource I hear (although I stupidly still need to purchase them myself, but will take care of that shortly)

Good to get a feel for the written vs printed (idealized style) of kanji.

Think of it like a doctors handwriting. Most of us can't read it easily, but a pharmacist easily makes it out. It is still English, and legible, but you won't recognise many of the characters. Such is written kanji.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..