Beginner's question about collecting, separate fittings

Hello everyone,

I've just started to read up on Japanese swords and other weapons. It's a fascinating subject to read about. So many beautiful pictures, and so many interesting histories.

One of the more difficult things for me to understand is the large volume of fittings that are traded. I get a feeling that during the life span of many a blade, some or all of the fittings were changed once or even more times. I would like to understand what that means from a collector's point of view. Could someone point me in the right direction? How does a change of tsuba affect the value (in the broadest sense of the word) of a blade, for example? Or, if I would acquire just a blade, what to look for next? Could I choose any shirasaya from about the same time period that I like, or.... So many questions! :?

Thanks!

Mark

Sir

Firstly may I respectfully suggest that you alone must make the decision as to what to collect.

You have chosen a vast,complicated subject with which to get involved and to even start to do justice to a reasonable answer to your question, would take a great deal of space.

May I suggest that you get yourself a copy of "The Samurai Sword. A Handbook" by John M.Yumoto. Whilst this could be called a 'potted' editioin of the subject,you will get an impression of what could be involved.

Also seek out a club or association and speak to people who are actual collectors, I am sure you will benefit greatly. This Forum is made up of serious minded collectors, many of them experts so you have started off right.

I wish you good luck in your endevours.

Henry.

Mark,

Your questions deserve more detailed answers than I am giving here but at least it may offer a brief overview.

1. As you will probably already have found out many swords were handed down through generations of family. As koshirae (fittings) wore out or as changes in fashion or the way of fighting changed they were updated or replaced. So on a blade several hundred years old there may well have been a number of different sets of fittings made over time.

2. In addition it was not unusual for Daimyo to have several sets of fittings for for a blade for different occasions. For example the koshirae he wore when in Edo was different to the one he wore on his own estate.

3. Saya and shirasaya are made for a specific blade. The shirasaya (resting scabbard) is usually renewed when a blade is polished. So again in an older blade you can expect it to have had a number of shirasaya in its life.

4. The things that effect the value of blades and or fittings are quality, rarity and age.

To find a sword from the 13th or 14th century in its original mounts would be extremely rare and would command a premium. However a good blade in later mounts would not necessarily be devalued provided the newer mounts were sympathetic both aesthetically and in terms of quality.

Above all else whether collecting swords or fittings the first factor should be quality.

I agree with Henry that if possible it would be very worthwhile trying to visit a group or club and meet people who can offer first hand advice.

good luck

Paul

Thank you Henry and Paul.

I have been looking into local meetings etc, and so far I have found the Dutch society which is mentioned in the links section of this great message board. It looks like I just missed their last meeting. :(

Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..