Shira Saya

RobertM

Hi Rob,

I'm sure also that way back a Samurai sword didn't come with shira-saya. The sword was bought as a weapon, to be used as a weapon, and mounted accordingly.

Now, though, when you give a sword to a polisher you usually ask for shira-saya. Old, used sayas usually have dust, grit, or worse inside and reinserting the newly polished blade is asking for scratches. It is possible to split, clean, reglue and reuse an old saya (shira-saya for sure; not sure how easily this could be done to a lacquered saya). I've had this done when the old saya had an old and valuable saya-gaki.

Another thread on NMB raised the question, "when did shira-saya first come into play?" I'd love to hear the answer. When high ranking Samurai of Edo time had more than one set of koshirae per blade, did they also have shira-saya for the blade?

Any case, that's what I think I know. Anyone else think they know different?

Grey

The earliest shirasaya I've ever seen were all from 1859. The weren't nearly as aesthetically pleasing as we're accustomed to today. They had a utilitarian look, being finished with less attention to flow and taper and a distinctly bulky appearance.

For the average "joe samurai" I'd agree the need for shirasaya was probably a very low priority. However with all the interexchange of swords between the Shogun, Nobility, Daimyo, and honored samurai (particularly in the Edo period), I find it difficult to believe these gift sword blades were all mounted. There is rarely any mention of these blades being mounted.

At the end of the day, shirasaya last about as long as a polish, and how many folks ever request the old one back if it doesn't have some special gaki or provinance associated with the blade it contained? So at large, I'd venture to say that though shirasaya have been around for a long time, their popularity (or increased need) didn't emerge until the Meiji Restoration and the Hatorei. Shirasaya are also a necessity to preserve quality mountings, providing a seperate housing for the sword blade thus keeping wear and tear off those mounts when the blade is examined. Another aspect likely not very common in the old days. Perhaps we should also be asking how old the concept of "tsunagi" are as well. :)

Edit: My reference to "all" from 1859 meant there were three (one katana and two tanto) that came to the US with the first Japanese Ambassadorial Delegation in 1860. Sorry for being a bit vague in a quick post... :oops:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..