"Papered" (Yeah right) Chinese Blade...

I came across this on eBay and it is a first for me. The sword seems to be Chinese junk, but it is, "Papered". Doesn't look like NTHK or NBTHK to me - although the picture of the old guy and the thumb print is a very nice touch...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-sword-sign ... 7C294%3A50

Is this a new thing or has this been around for a while and I just missed it?

Ian, it is proof of exceptional versatility. Should you be walking through the dark woods and you're attacked by a brigand or 2, you have the sword to protect you. What's more, on that same stroll through the dark woods, if nature calls, you have paper.

Grey

I saw that to, it is sad. Well it is going to be those guys that don't really know even the most basics that are really going to pay. Knowledge has value obviously. The few times I have gone to a military show, I am amazed at the garbage I hear by the "dealers". "if a sword isn't signed, it isn't valuable". It was hard for me to tell them that even if it is signed it is likely a fake signature anyway. lol. Fake papers, etc will just be more ammunition for the uniformed. It is hard to tell these military show guys much, how do you teach nihonto 101 in 5 minutes? Half the guys are so cynical they think you are lying to them to rip them off anyway. For some reason they seem to believe the bad information. So even when you have good intentions, you can't win. I guess if you can inform just one guy about the truth of a piece, you did your part. With even WWII machine blades selling for a few hundred+ there is just too much money to rob people. And for real collectors, well even more reason to stay on your toes and don't take anything for granted.

Well, Ken, Look on the bright side. If the dealers want to tell you "if a sword isn't signed, it isn't valuable" then you should be able to pick up some nice mumei swords at good prices. :glee: Seriously, though, it just seems to be more of an escalation of trying to fleece people as miuch as possible.

There is junk made in China every day on Ebay by the 100's if not 1,000's, no need to pay it any special attention, look at JOKE with it's 1001 pictures no less! :freak:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-SAMURAI-SW ... 1|294%3A50

At least there is a little wheel at the tip of the saya if you get tired carrying that piece of junk around!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..