Yasukuni Yasuhisa

Apologies if this is the wrong forum section.

I'm looking for information on Onuki Hisashi. Smith name was/is Yasuhisa, of the Yasukuni tosho.

I've read about him in the Yasukuni book by Tom Kishida and any info on him seems to end in 1954 when swords were allowed to be forged again.

Managed to find these references to him in Hawleys and the Toko Taikan but my Hawleys is the 1966 version and doesn't contain this reference and I don't own the Taikan.

YAS-812 and TK-697. If anyone can post the relevant info for these, I'd be very grateful.

My reason for this search is because of a strong possibility of buying a katana in officers(I assume because of the sukashi gunto tsuba) gunto koshirae here in Hong Kong.

I've only seen it briefly but it has an interesting mei. It's in the upper left corner of the ura nakago, starting just below the yasurimei demarcation and seems a later addition. I'm assuming it's some form of dedication/shrine - I don't think it's Onkashi-to as Yasuhisa 'qualified' too late.

The Chinese seller says the additional mei is some form of polishers attribution. I've never heard of that, but...

Slough' only rates the smith at 1M yen but it seems a good sword with interesting mei. Yasuhisa seems to have been a star sakite at the NTK as he was chosen as the only sakite to go with a couple of top smiths to open a new 'school'.

So, I'm a little confused... The rating doesn't speak highly of him but there are indications that he is/was good.

Therefore, I'm trying to find out more but seem to have run out of sources.

If anyone has anything more on him, I'm all ears.

Cheers fellas.

Thank you very much, Mark.

Something more to go on. 8 pts is not very promising though.

Stephen, the 1966 Hawley's is somewhat lacking compared to the 80's edition.

My mentor, Mr.Robertshaw, keeps threatening me with a PDF version but hasn't got round to sending it yet.

I was starting to think I should have kept quiet about Hong Kong.

There are some genuine collectors and enthusiasts over here.

I think the rating that Hawley's gives for gendaito smiths is sligthly out dated and should be taken with a pinch of uchiko IMPO as opinions etc have changed a lot over the years concerning gendaito.

Regardsing Yasukuni to in general, if the nakago has been mucked with in anyway I would stay away from it. Even a heavy kind of rust devalues Yasukuni swords (sort of) which Is a problemI Iencounter when selling my Yasutoku last month.

As far as getting a good Yasukuni sword, I would try to stick to either of the two Yasunori's and go for something with a choji hamon. If miltary koshirae is what you are after too that might be a bit tough but I believe that generally any Yasukuni smiths other that the Yasunori's are not that highly rated.

Just my pennies worth.

Yes, and aside from a small section by Chris Bowen on the Yasukuni smiths that does not include Yasuhisa, I find nothing relating to Yasuhisa or "tangon dohen".

I may well have missed the relevance though. Wouldn't be the first time... ;)

A good page on Yasukuni swords:

http://www.jp-sword.com/files/yasukuni/yasukunito.html

Unfortunately Yasuhisa isn't mentioned, but the author does give several rankings, including one based on value at market. Yasuhiro comes ahead of both Yasutoku and Yasunori. Actually four or five smiths are ranked ahead of Yasunori.

From a quick bit of looking around, I suspect that Yasuhisa didn't make many Yasukuni-to, this being rather late in the way.

Kevin

Yasuhiro was a very good smith but it seems the work signed Kunemori is judged inferior although it is later.

The sword is in need of a polish so unless the seller offers it for a good price, I'll not be buying it.

Saya is damaged and seppa are mismatched so it's not ideal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..