AOI "Dai Sho"

Greetings everyone,

I was rummaging around on the internet and for whatever reason this "Dai Sho" at AOI caught my eye. I'd love to find out what your thoughts are on it. It seems like AOI sells quality swords in relatively new polish. How do you feel about their polish as well? 

https://www.aoijapan.com/dai-shotsushima-kami-tachibana-nyudo-tsunemitsu/ 

Sincerely,

Khalid 

Khalid,

Both appear to be in fresh polish. Both are Tokubetsu Hozon papered so a step above Hozon papers. AOI is well known for dealing nihonto of good and excellent levels, including Juyo papered items. Looks like a very nice pair.

Dan

• Like 2

Dear Khalid.

I agree with Dan, these are nice swords in good polish and worth having, thogh at what price is up to you. 

However I also agree with Jimmy.  Most daisho are so because of the matching koshirae, they most often have blades by two different smiths.  From what I have seen it is rare to find two blades that were made from the start as a daisho, ie made by the same smith at the same time specifically commissioned as a pair of swords.

Obviously it is far less difficult to find a katana and a wakizashi by the same smith at different times and then bring them together.  If you wanted to spend a lot of money on making up a daisho, (and why would you do that?  They will always be a made up daisho.) then I suppose these would do nicely.  If I were to by these, and it's never going to happen, then I would consider myself as having bought a nice couple of swords by an intreresting smith but not a daisho.

As a matter to note these two blades have different shirasaya and different habaki, so what really makes them a daisho?

All the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your feedback everyone. I contacted AOI to see if they had any other daisho and was told that there is the only pair left in stock. I was not aware that true daisho paper on the same kanteisho.

This is the pairing that is in stock at the moment.

https://www.aoijapan.com/dai-sho-mumei-yamato-shizu-mumeiechizen-rai/ 

I really liked the katana for the polish but feel like the wakizashi is rather underwhelming. They do come with matching fittings. I just wish that they could be sold separate, which may sound ridiculous considering the match of fittings. But any two swords can be matched together with fittings. Please feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks,

Khalid

Dear Khalid.

Just for the record splitting up an original daisho is a terriible idea.  At the point that the koshirae was made, or some time before, a samurai paired these swords and had them mounted, you have a complete and historical daisho.  Swapping out a blade because at the moment you find it under whelming, (and bear in mind that the longer you study swords the more likely you are to appreciate what does not neccessarily float your boat right now), destroys that historical entity.  Add to that each koshirae is custom made to fit each blade so you would have to at the very least have to have the tsuka and saya re made, again destroying any historical context.  

Better by far to have the daisho and keep it as it is and purchase other swords that you like at the moment.  Or hold out for a better daisho.  Several available here, https://www.japanszwaard.nl/uk/zwaarden.html

Of course it's your money and if you buy them they will be your swords but we have a historical duty to these wonderfull articles, they were created by outstanding people many years ago and will survive us by several hundred years, all being well.  Sorry, rant over but I sense that you are feeling your way into this fascinating area of study and collecting and there may be some useful bits here.

All the best.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..