Which Generation Kanesada?

DTM72

Over the weekend, I picked up a WWII kaigunto wakizashi with a nijimei Kanesada blade. Looking at the signature, I already know it is NOT nidai "Nosada". I don't think Shodai made hamon of this style so now I need to figure out if this is 3rd, 4th,5th, 6th, etc.

The hamon alternates between sugu for an inch (2.5cm) then 3 ko gunome peaks, back to sugu then 3 gunome peaks.

Would greatly appreciate any help in figuring out the generation.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Screenshot_20220810-233043.png

Screenshot_20220810-224216.png

Screenshot_20220810-233213.png

Hello

You purchased this from seller showa22 it appears. Usually he gives an approximate jidai of what the blade's characteristics point to. From there you could use www.sho-shin.com to narrow down and research what generation this might be based on sugata, jihada, hamon, boshi etc. As I agree with Jacques the most important question is whether it is sho shin or gimei and that takes a lot of research and knowledge! 

As I am still trying to wrap my head around the abyss of nihonto (and I hope others will agree) and I made similar purchases, I strongly advise investing in books, reading and understanding the terminology, asking questions (as you did). We all started somewhere..

That would allow you to know what to purchase and what not to. While this may appear too blunt and harsh it is definitely not intended to by any means and I'm sure will serve you well as a guiding light on the long run. Also, the forum consists of reputable and knowledgeable members that have plenty of inventory to choose from. Buying a nihonto in polish, without flaws in healthy status and with reliable papers should always be a priority. That is my take on the subject! Cheers.

P.S. if you check showa22 sold listings you'd find another Kanesada niji mei you might want to compare yours to.

J.

15 hours ago, Darkcon said:

use www.sho-shin.com to narrow down and research what generation this might be based on sugata, jihada, hamon, boshi etc. 

Buying a nihonto in polish, without flaws in healthy status and with reliable papers should always be a priority. That is my take on the subject! Cheers.

J,

I've been to Sho-shin.com and done all the research I can via the internet and what books I already own. That being said, I lean towards sandai or yondai, but I don't have a meikan to compare shoshin examples to. Maybe I should have made my question clearer and asked if anyone had shoshin examples of the sandai and yondai for comparison. I still have doubt that it is sandai KAN2024.

As for buying nihonto in polish, healthy, papered, etc. I have multiple examples that fit this bill already. In my opinion, I got this kaigunto for a good price regardless if it was a stainless, a showato, or nihonto. To me, was just a bonus that it does actually have a nihonto wakizashi mounted. Is the blade perfect? No, not even close, but it is interesting to me and getting it papered and polished is not a priority, at least not until I learn more about it. Learning about what I have is a priority and I appreciate any knowledge you or anyone else can provide.

Sugata, jihada, hamon style, boshi all point to Mino style...to the best of my limited abilities.

Possibilities I have narrowed it to;

KAN2022 <- 1st Kanesada of Mino. Sugata, jihada, hamon style, boshi are a close match

KAN2023 <- 2nd Kanesada. Mei is not the same as "Nosada" 100% no match

KAN2024 <- 3rd Kanesada "Hiki-Kanesada" The sada character is very close to my example. Sugata, jihada, hamon style, boshi are a close match

KAN2025 <- haven't found shoshin examles to comapre to. Sugata, jihada, hamon style, boshi are a close match

KAN2040 <- Don't know enough about this one to make a call. From Mino and time period fits.

KAN2041 <- Don't know enough about this one to make a call. From Mino and time period fits.

KAN2044 <- Don't know enough about this one to make a call. From Mino and time period fits.

KAN2048 <- Don't know enough about this one to make a call. From Mino and time period fits.

KAN2049 <- Don't know enough about this one to make a call. From Mino and time period fits.

Does anyone have shoshin examples of shodai ,sandai or yondai Kanesada to compare this mei to? KAN2022, KAN2024 or KAN2025?

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

6 hours ago, DTM72 said:

J,

I've been to Sho-shin.com and done all the research I can via the internet and what books I already own. That being said, I lean towards sandai or yondai, but I don't have a meikan to compare shoshin examples to. Maybe I should have made my question clearer and asked if anyone had shoshin examples of the sandai and yondai for comparison. I still have doubt that it is sandai KAN2024.

As for buying nihonto in polish, healthy, papered, etc. I have multiple examples that fit this bill already. In my opinion, I got this kaigunto for a good price regardless if it was a stainless, a showato, or nihonto. To me, was just a bonus that it does actually have a nihonto wakizashi mounted. Is the blade perfect? No, not even close, but it is interesting to me and getting it papered and polished is not a priority, at least not until I learn more about it. Learning about what I have is a priority and I appreciate any knowledge you or anyone else can provide.

Sugata, jihada, hamon style, boshi all point to Mino style...to the best of my limited abilities.

Possibilities I have narrowed it to;

KAN2022 <- 1st Kanesada of Mino. Sugata, jihada, hamon style, boshi are a close match

KAN2023 <- 2nd Kanesada. Mei is not the same as "Nosada" 100% no match

KAN2024 <- 3rd Kanesada "Hiki-Kanesada" The sada character is very close to my example. Sugata, jihada, hamon style, boshi are a close match

KAN2025 <- haven't found shoshin examles to comapre to. Sugata, jihada, hamon style, boshi are a close match

KAN2040 <- Don't know enough about this one to make a call. From Mino and time period fits.

KAN2041 <- Don't know enough about this one to make a call. From Mino and time period fits.

KAN2044 <- Don't know enough about this one to make a call. From Mino and time period fits.

KAN2048 <- Don't know enough about this one to make a call. From Mino and time period fits.

KAN2049 <- Don't know enough about this one to make a call. From Mino and time period fits.

Does anyone have shoshin examples of shodai ,sandai or yondai Kanesada to compare this mei to? KAN2022, KAN2024 or KAN2025?

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Your money, your choice. I wanted to give you the voice of experience. No pun intended

Cheers

P.S. I hope you get it polished so we could see the new, true appearance

J.

• Like 2

You have it in hand, many clues to narrow down age

To help us

Full length with image?

Pic of jigane, Itame, masame? mokume?, dark? , rough? light? etc

Nakago image? showing jiri.

Looks to hikagi yasurime

Slightly shortened machi-okuri

Narrowing it down to one name man though, very doubtful

Maybe length and sugata and the fact its maybe machi okuri will lead you to nearer

You need look at the full picture, including the ana

Difficult by what is available

Lots of info online and in books to assist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..