What makes a collection good?

I was contemplating, the other day, the nature of collecting things — perhaps it was too good of a bottle of wine for a weekday. But it got me thinking.

What makes, in your mind, for a truly outstanding collection? What are the "ingredients," as it were?

Best way I could think to try and answer this is in rhyme and prose.....

What is the most beautiful tree?

What is the most delicious kind of pie?
It is what you feel you love and need

The best collection depends on one's eye

It is the tree that speaks to you

It is the pie that makes you swoon

It is what sparks, inspires and glues

It is what satisfies and sounds in tune

There's the most expensive and most rare

Theres the oddest, humble and more

There's the expert high end affair

To the simple soldiers need in war

All to appreciate and hold in esteem

All things that deserve admiration

Art, beauty, history all can be supreme

Knowing yourself, behold a revelation

So what's on your shelf

Collect from thyself.

Still learn true and buy wise

Know what and why it's your prize

Then it will always be the best

For it's yours and different from the rest.

Dr. Adam Suess.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

One that has been put together over time and with great thought and purpose. One that excites the observer every time they look at it and that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up when you pick one of the pieces up. Such a collection can be one sword or many  the key is quality and fulfilling the ambition of the curator 

• Like 5

As far as I'm concerned the answer is knowledge.

A great collection is one where you can tell a captivating story about each and every item and answer just about any question someone might ask.

I don't care if it's a collection of insects, books, meteorites, memorabilia, coins, stamps, toys, swords, etc, etc; people find it fascinating when it's tied together in a meaningful way with an interesting narrative. Otherwise most people don't care unless they're connoisseurs themselves.

I tend to view collectibles as props for storytelling.

I'd rather be shown (or possess) a collection worth $0 where the owner has true knowledge and passion for each item than a collection worth $20 million which is devoid of meaning.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

What Dan K said. "Whatever speaks the most to the collector himself".

It may not become famous.

It may not speak to all collectors...but if it satisfies the interests of this collector, he/she will research it and gain knowledge.

He/she will gladly share this knowledge with other collectors of a similar interest, and/or other individuals who are building a collection of their own.

In a nutshell, a collector collects what interests him/her.

I do not know of any genuine collector who collects to please others/to gain the approval of others. I'm not sure if such a person would be classified as a collector.

Hope this helps...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tsuku

you ask two questions really-

firstly your topic title asks “what makes a collection good” ……I would say one that makes you really happy.

But then secondly you rephrase a little and ask “…what makes…a truly outstanding collection” which is a bit different and I would say one that contains examples of the finest [whatevers] ever made.

The first can perhaps be achieved without being a multimillionaire and brings much fun and pleasure.

The second usually requires much ££££, is far more stressful and imo less enjoyable

just my thoughts……

• Like 2

I am very interested in collecting so I am very pleased with this question and topic. Thank you  GP

It seems to me that “collections” can be judged from two sides:

1    1.   the STUFF in them

OR

2   2.  the COLLECTOR who put them together.

If you are interested in the first option, then a “good collection” would reveal accurate, useful information about the stuff being assemble - dinosaur bones, salt and pepper shakers, or Japanese swords. Making that assessment requires knowledge of BOTH subject matter – and relevant “background knowledge” – like evolutionary theory, popular culture, and Japanese history.

If you take the other approach, and try to judge a collection in terms of the person, institution, or process that gathered it, then there are three – 3 – goals that have to be considered. These are

1    1. the size – generally big is better, the more in merrier. Was this collector happy ... or driven?

2   2. the range – does it reflect the full breadth and diversity of the material being treated and this requires mastery of the background – all those books.

3   3. the quality – does it focus on the really good stuff, ie pieces that are big, pretty, valuable. This requires mastery of both the background AND lots of money!

A “good “ collection in in the eye of the beholder. Who is to say what I have and might treasure is any less than what anyone else has. Everyone has their own taste, their own budget and their own really treasured collection. Just my two cents

MikeR

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..