Bizen wakizashi or something else?

jbeer1212

Hey folks,

A friend brought me a number of swords recently to try and identify.  This one has seen better days, but looks to have some age, and is seemingly from Bizen.

Just curious everyone's thoughts.  I will take some better photos later.  Just slammed with work.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

Overall length is 63.5 cm

cutting edge is 51cm

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

Hi Jeremy, i have a blade with 2 nicks and also 1mm missing of the tip, it no longer bothers me.

It did bother me when i bought it and was actually booked in for polish to correct. My turn came up but i never sent it.

The old polish was a good polish, none of this heavy Hadori that you see. On top of that, a blade over 400 years old and a blade worth preserving. 

Taking steel off the blade just to please oneself is not the right way to preserve these old heirlooms.

For blades like yours which are out of polish and showing rust spots, thats another matter.

The cost of polishing blades is expensive as you probably know, you just have to weigh up whether its worth it or not.

Being honest, yours looks to be one of the mass produced, with an opening i can see near the mune.

Likely not worth the expense of a top notch polisher

Still, a blade that has seen plenty of history.

Cheers.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..