Wakizashi Length Kaigunto and Shingunto

DTM72

The thread for pilot swords was starting to go on a tangent to wakizashi length kaiguntos. I figured I would start the thread to get the ball rolling on this conversation. I believe @Bruce Pennington had a chart tracking short blades in kaigunto koshirae...I think? @IJASWORDS @Shamsy @PNSSHOGUN @BANGBANGSAN

My kaigunto is signed nijimei 兼定  Kanesada and has a late koto period wakizashi blade. Koshirae matches the blade.

Dimensions are;

Nagasa = 21" (53.3 cm)

Overall length of tsuka and saya = 31" (78.7 cm)

Kanesada 2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Dan,

I’m not tracking them, per se, but there is another thread started two years ago here:

Don’t know if you want to add yours to that three-page thread, or just keep going with yours with the link I posted. Your title is much more sophisticated!

Hey now, I was always to keep things simple! K.I.S.S is an acronym to live by! Keep It Simple Stupid!  

• Haha 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..