WWII (as far as I can tell) Nihonto Blade Identification

Patinamax

My apologies if this is not allowed - I am new here and trying to post this in the relevant subject. 

I manage a pawn shop in Northern California, and have been attempting to identify the maker of, or general information about a sword that came through the store months ago. The provenance is muddy, the man who brought it in had an Uncle who was in WWII (passed away a few years ago) and had a collection of various blades he had acquired over the years, mostly from Europe. He did however, have one Nihonto that appears to be world war era from what I can tell. Unfortunately, there are missing parts and the wrap and pin were not correctly put on. I have taken a few pictures of what I think should be the most important pictures of this for identification, but please feel free to request more information or pictures. 

Again, I am new so forgive my ignorance of the subject. I've always taken an interest in older swords, however my knowledge is extremely limited, mostly to ones that come through the store that I get to look up for customers. 

Any information would be extremely appreciated as well as ideas on the value. 

If this thread is in the wrong topic please feel free to remove it or let me know. Thank you!

IMG_9020.thumb.JPG.aca72b33d33a5fd22c6ac8e91bdd483c.JPGIMG_9021.thumb.JPG.b7d92cf6bd8eafaa2914ed5e77bee521.JPGIMG_9023.thumb.JPG.25f11a058dff0896db0f078a4a128a87.JPGIMG_9018.thumb.JPG.f9cce31eda67dbad38048538b03f77d3.JPGIMG_9019.thumb.JPG.bc24d2556e35bd59825ea2296f7dacb8.JPGIMG_9022.thumb.JPG.d2c68490f2a6d568e42fb0dc99f193ce.JPGIMG_9024.thumb.JPG.ec1f478e5160b40ff262d5433b3da1f7.JPG

• Thanks 1

I would guess at a poor quality arsenal wartime sword. Can we get another pic or 2 of the tang, the side that doesn't have the date? Not sure if I can see a Seki stamp.
Needs a lot of refitting, so value would be in the low hundreds if it turns out to be genuine. Has had a hard life.

• Like 2

It looks low end but genuine to me. Blade made out of bar stock, cheap fittings, and late war. A readable date is a point in its favour, Chinese inscriptions are usually nonsense.

Officers bought these out of their own money, and the official set price was 80 jpy which went nowhere in 1944.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ooitame said:

one mekugi ana though? Also the clasp comes out of the koshirae? At best very late war or island sword, or buba work...?

Eric,

This is a Type 98, so one ana is standard.  It is the Rinji fittings that are made for 2 ana. 

Can you pinpoint or explain what you mean by "clasp comes out...."?

The screw in the kabutogane, and maybe the odd cord wrap, look Bubba to me, although the cord does look old.  No idea what that metal pin is in the mekugi ana!

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Not sure if I can see a Seki stamp.

Took a closer look, and you're right!  A half-struck Seki stamp ...... but no mei.  What a strange one!

Another oddity - (and my technical lingo on this is weak) the curve of the nakago jiri is upside down from where it should be!  It should be inline with the shinogi:

Upside down jiri 2.jpg

• Like 1

Right!  and someone has bent the broken latch end to fit through the hole to act as a catch.  The hole is there for the edged tip of the latch to catch onto.  But the tip has been broken off (pretty common actually).  The hole or slot is normally covered by the koiguchi (end cap), which I think has been shoved onto the top of the handle (kabutogane).

Here's an intact one:

image.thumb.png.ab2cbb85259841adf48b529567c104d5.png

Thank you all for the information, Bruce especially! One friend I have had told me he was fairly certain it was a machined sword based on looking at the blade. It definitely could use some TLC. It is unfortunate that it is missing so much and in a rough way. I'd like to reiterate if I haven't already stated so that we received it in this condition, I would definitely treat one of my own with much more love. Again, if any closer up pictures would help (just for identification or your own curiosity) please let me know. 

If any one has any recommendations for who might be someone to sell it to/pay for a restoration I would be open ears. I would like to see it restored, whether through my store doing it or a potential collector/buyer. 

On 8/7/2022 at 1:42 AM, Brian said:

I would guess at a poor quality arsenal wartime sword. Can we get another pic or 2 of the tang, the side that doesn't have the date? Not sure if I can see a Seki stamp.
Needs a lot of refitting, so value would be in the low hundreds if it turns out to be genuine. Has had a hard life.

Sure, give me a few and I will take a couple. 

Here are a few photos of the tang on the reverse of the signature stamp. the first picture seems to have a signature or part of one (that may be what some folks were referring to) near the pin hole. I can take a close up of that if necessary! Thanks again all. IMG_9117.thumb.JPG.48dc151ddbd260c8a5c3f056babaf4b3.JPGIMG_9118.thumb.JPG.47cb0c208572d07191de049b4642dc53.JPGIMG_9119.thumb.JPG.1e0921e8d1d11c115f6d226880541d06.JPG

On 8/7/2022 at 1:42 AM, Brian said:

Not sure if I can see a Seki stamp.

I have circled the Seki 関 stamp on the picture below.   Only the left side of the stamp is still visible as this side of the nakago was sanitized for reasons unknown.  To see the stamp clearly, one needs to download the picture and then zoom in on the location.  FYI, I did not notice it until Brian & Bruce mentioned it.  This got me curious as to where it was at.

IMG_9021-copy.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..