Translation assistance on this Katana. . And other considerations / concerns

Eds

Looks like someone took a wire brush to the habaki or maybe were trying to pry the habaki off?  Are there any markings on the nakago mune [the spine of the tang]?

兼定 = Kanesada.

昭和十八年十二月 = 1943 December.

• Like 1

Thomas

The Habaki is on pretty solid and there looks like scratch marks where a previous owner tried to pry it off.  I can't get it off and I haven't tried very hard.  

No Arsenal stamp that I can see on the tang or markings on the spine that I can discern.  I've posted pictures of both sides.  I took the pictures today.

With all that said, I could use advice on where to get the Tsuka rewrapped.  In the USA would be nice

VR

Ed

DSCN9199.JPG

DSCN9197a.jpg

DSCN9198a.jpg

DSCN9196.JPG

DSCN9195.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hi Ed, best to just leave the habaki alone for the time being.  Below is a link to get you started on the handle rewrap question.  However, I would wait until others have chimed in with more recent experience.

Type 98 Japanese Officer's Sword

In addition, on the menu tab at the top of NMB, click on Nihonto Info.  From the drop down menu, hover over Links and then click on Restoration.  This will display several individuals who do sword work.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..