Videos or photos of shortening /suriage

Hi all. This might be a big ask as I don't beleive sword shortening / o suriage takes place anymore in our modern world. 

But does anyone have a video or photos on an actual suriage or shortening process ? 

I'm not expecting much, as this process took place on many older blades before cameras. 

Thanks 

It does take place still for the intention of improving sellability of compromised swords or according to owner preference. We've seen situations like ubu signed Rai Kunitoshi and ubu signed Ko-Aoe tachi where the blades were made into osuriage wakizashi (both likely due to hagire/breakage) and the original nakago kept separately. With swords being cut up into pieces in Japan due to registration issues, I am sure many of those become osuriage tanto. I've seen a recently made gakumei tanto that was changed due to a flaw in the sword. 

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/Sueyuki1.html

Hi Ray

I find what you say very interesting. I had no idea such things would still be done today. It’s a bit shocking. I wonder what most members would rather have …..the compromised ubu piece or the “modified version”…with or without the separate original nakago?

Where is this being done…Japan or elsewhere? (Obviously in Japan for those with registration problems)

Best. Colin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..