Sword and Koshirae

Hello All,

I understand that a sword ought to be stored in shirasaya. However, this has me wonder whether letting a sword ever touch koshirae is a good idea. The upside only appears to be the pleasure of enjoying them together (I'm not minimizing this as an upside), but the risk to the sword and koshirae appears too great for that (due to the additional handling, etc.). Is this too cautious a view? 

Best, 
Shane

Yes. :-)

But ideally a sword should not be stored in koshirae for an extended period of time. That was never the intention. 

Especially with antique koshirae and lacquer, the sword and the lacquer work actually require different environments/microclimates for effective preservation. 

That said, the shinsakuto I actually use only lives in regular koshirae and has no issues with rust. The same goes for an Osafune Masamitsu wakizashi for which I simply do not have a shirasaya. It remains in perfect condition. But shirasaya would be ideal, and when I “retire” my shinsakuto I will have one made. 

• Thanks 1

Zman

As Michael above says makes sense ... 

My own opinion..

If you have koshirae made for the blade by the tradespeople of Japan and explain to them , that the blade will be living in the koshirae and you will not be making shirasaya for it .....

It costs a lot of money !! .... 

However  , brand new koshirae is made as air tight as shirasaya 

However....

It becomes a total "New Process " in itself .. picking fittings etc....

So after purchasing a blade  ..

It could cost more to make it look the way you want it to look  , than what the blade is worth  ..

I further more agree  , Do Not house a sword in old koshirae  ... you just don't know what's in the saya !

If the blade has no saya/scabbard ..

Get a cotton cloth , soak it in light oil (sewing machine oil ) and wrap it around the blade  ...monitor and oil it regularly  !

I've dressed 2 blades in brand new  daisho mounts (koshirae)

They live in these mounts 

1 has shirasaya  , one does not 

It comes down to personal preference  ... just continue maintaining/regularly oiling blades 

Cheers AlanK

• Thanks 1

Ok not to change or steal Shane’s original post but what about displaying bare blades on a rack? If the blade is kept oiled and the temperature is somewhat controlled and the humidity is somewhat controlled can they be left out to enjoy? ( I use the word somewhat to imply that this is in a home, in a separate room, where the temperature mostly consistent and a dehumidifier is on 24-7). I know that museums have very controlled environments but I see blades stored this way so they can be enjoyed by all. Thank you

MikeR

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Michaelr said:

Ok not to change or steal Shane’s original post but what about displaying bare blades on a rack? If the blade is kept oiled and the temperature is somewhat controlled and the humidity is somewhat controlled can they be left out to enjoy? ( I use the word somewhat to imply that this is in a home, in a separate room, where the temperature mostly consistent and a dehumidifier is on 24-7). I know that museums have very controlled environments but I see blades stored this way so they can be enjoyed by all. Thank you

MikeR

It can certainly be done if the climate control is adequate. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michaelr said:

If the blade is kept oiled and the temperature is somewhat controlled and the humidity is somewhat controlled can they be left out to enjoy?

The issue here is dust. If you have a display case or cabinet, it helps - along with the temp & humidity control. If not, bare blades can and will accumulate dust - especially if they are oiled. Cleaning off the dust can actually cause micro-scratching.

Then, too,  there is the "oops" factor of accidental contact...

• Thanks 1

I have all my bare blades exhibited in a humidity controlled glass front locked display case and with the blades oiled regularly and they have been like this for over 10 years.  Oiling is vital regardless and most museums and nihonto displays the blade is bare so I am pretty sure it is OK. I get the added benefit of seeing  the  Koshira and all fittings at the same time and people can not touch anything. Actually fairly peaceful just looking !

image.thumb.jpeg.d2770a3c2d58a8808c8bd2842831011a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

That is awesome Brian.

Say, if the koshirae (or more specifically the saya) ought to be kept in a humid environment, then how do you keep yours from cracking given the humidity controlled conditions in your display case?

Did you build it yourself?

Best,
Shane

The humidity is kept at around 30-40% which is low enough to make sure that the moisture available won't precipitate on a cooler blade which being at 68' all year round is not likely - It is like getting water on  the outside of a cold glass .  It is also not low enough that any wood would dry out beyond what it has over the last 100 years or so !!  I built the cabinet with adjustable oak shelves and there is a small heat source in the bottom like is used in gun safes - it gets warm and enough to keep the humidity down. That said there is a dehumidifier in our basement to keep it lower as well. 

I usually oil the blades and apply a wax to the koshirae every couple of months and so far after 10 years = no problems 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..