Translation confirmation please

Hopefully just confirmation.... Kai Gunto (ext. drag, early fittings & Ishime saya) I think it is Yoshishige and dated 1942 (Showa 17).  Not too sure on that second kanji (shige) ?

Approx. 5mm Seki stamp

Interesting that the cutting of the date on mine bears a close resemblance to that of @Eds Kai (Daido) translation yesterday..THREAD..."Katana which I could use some help with translation. Just came in today"

Thanks Rob

Screenshot_2022-07-23-16-48-30.png

Screenshot_2022-07-23-16-49-01.png

Screenshot_2022-07-23-16-59-59.png

20211104_101555.jpg

• Like 1

Peter, I have always believed this colour and metal was either early war material (quality dropping later) and/or personal upgrade by the owner.

There seem to be enough of them around to suggest, at least to me, that they are 'as original' and not polished as you suggest.

Interestingly, i have noticed the metal fitings on swords with these types of golden 'rising sun' tsuba/seppa's are also of a much higher quality than those on the more 'blackened' Kai Gunto tsuba/seppa. Accepting that all were probably gilded originally.

Having said that, I learn something new every time I log in here so, open mind.

John @PNSSHOGUN may have some ideas on this as well.

The attached picture shows Yoshishige on the left, Mumei 'stainless' centre and Kaneyoshi on right. 

Rob

Screenshot_2022-07-24-08-14-04.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From a 2017 thread courtesy @PNSSHOGUN showing the Kai Gunto of Lieutenant Kenshi Chuma, recovered from the midget sub that attacked Sydney harbour. Now held at the Aust. War Memorial.

As the newspaper of the day stated "The copper guard is inscribed and is shaped to represent the rising sun" thanks Ian @Ian B3HR2UH .

Not post war polish and unlikley to have been polished by the owner.  The tsuba is thicker than the blackened version with possibly with a squarer edge (?).

On balance, just higher grade fittings.

Rob

Screenshot_2022-07-24-21-31-54.png

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..