Current AOI shipping cost estimate for a Katana to the U.S.A.

Hi All,

I'm sure this has probably been discussed but I was unable to search it and find recent information. I'm wondering approximately how much it costs to have AOI ship a Katana to the US? I have not purchased anything yet but I've seen some intriguing offerings. If anyone has recently purchased a sword from them can you give me some kind of shipping cost estimate? I don't expect exact information because I know every case will be different. But should I expect to pay $100-$300? $500+? I know there will be a wait. I also may end up purchasing from someone here who is a dealer. But AOI seems to have a pretty good selection in many price ranges. I know you get what you pay for as well. Especially from someone like AOI who knows what they have and what it's worth. But they make it pretty easy to get a good look at the sword and I assume their information is correct.

Please feel free to comment anything you've seen or heard. I have very limited knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

John   

AOI has usually very good blades and with the current exchange rate on the yen the prices are relatively good compared to stateside - that said the shipping is always a problem since EMS and some of the other couriers are not shipping from Japan to NA. I have no idea what the cost will be to ship but someone should be able to tell what the costs were in the past couple of months.

I recently purchased a Naginata from AOI and I was not charged a separate shipping fee.  I paid on Apr 29 and received it on Jun 15th.

I have purchased 5 items from them and they have always been pleasant to deal with.

Jesse

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is a note on AOI Art’s website that was posted recently.  I highly suggest reaching out to them to get estimates before you order. Also note that some long or large size items (full naginata / yari poles, etc.) can be expensive to ship:

“Thank you so much for giving us your patronage.  Some of you have already experienced that we have charged you an extra shipping fee to ship the parcels.
That was the effect of the suspension of all EMS shipments to European countries.
And now, other couriers like FedEx and UPS have raised their fees so we cannot afford shipping fees anymore.
Please note that it is very probable that we ask you for an additional charge to ship items, depending on the countries you live.
We will let you know whether you have to pay the additional fees when you order any items.
Make sure that you write your shipping address including your country name when you make an order.
If not, we cannot calculate the shipping fees.
We apologize for what we have decided but we have to get profits to keep our business.
We truly hope you all understand.”

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, francois2605 said:

FYI Aoi Arts just shipped a katana with EMS without asking me to pay extra shipping fees. 

+1 on this. I won an auction back in September and they shipped mid-October with no additional shipping fees. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..