Polishing red urushi kabuto?

sounderites

Hi, 

I just bought a red zunari. I've talked to a few experts and it seems polishing red urushi is difficult / impossible, but I've seen a few red kabuto with a distinctive shine. Does anyone know how it can be done? Maybe there is some old Japanese man out there who can do this?! :)

Thanks!

IMG_6357.jpg

7f64ce4f02b63b3da7467018b9b96cec.jpeg

Hello Julian, 

The finish on your Zunari is exactly as was intended,  it was never a high gloss finish and should be left as is.  Gloss finishes require more than just polishing, the type of Urushi and preparation steps are also important.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Julian,

there is a difference between cleaning and / or polishing urushi, no matter what color. I wouldn’t recommend the latter for DIY. It’s sometimes tricky and needs knowledge as also experience. In case of the above kabuto is Thomas absolutely right! 
Still a lot to say, but I suggest to wait until you have the helmet in hand…..

Julian,  The problem with this bright red lacquer is that the particles of pigment, vermilion or mercury suphide, have to mask the dark brown colour of the lacquer itself. This involves using a large amount of pigment in comparison with the quantity of lacquer needed to hold the particles together.  As a result, the coating of red lacquer is somewhat porous, there being insufficient lacquer to fill the spaces between the pigment particles that fill up with dirt particles. You often see this problem on the inside of face masks which resist all attemps to come clean when wiped with alcohol. The problem with your helmet is that the lacquer on both the red and black areas has become degraded by exposure to light. Lacquer when first applied is a complex structure in which the lacquer particles are surounded by an adsorbed layer of water molecules forming what is known as a micell. Exposure to light results in the water layer being driven off leaving the dull degraded surface. 

Ian Bottomley

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..