Poem ( Haiku ? ) translation

Bob M.

Steve ,

Thanks for looking at this I realise that it is not straight forward at all .

The other side of the tsuba has one mount fuji and two pine trees, which together with the three eggplant form a set of auspicious characters to dream about ( especially first dream of the new year ).

We can possibly see something about Mt Fuji in the sunlight ( __ Kawa__Ya__Fuji Toki Taru Hino Hikari )

This info. courtesy George Miller.

Regards

Hi Piers ,

The tsuba is a bit of a conundrum in that it only shows the two pine trees and Mt Fuji - unless the hawks are hiding in the branches . 

Is it possible that the hawks are actually there , but represented by a sort of wordplay ? Maybe if we can find the exact meaning of the poem , it will help unlock the riddle.

I am also told that the words ' Nasu' and ' Hino Hikari ' are nicknames for the Nikko area of Japan , so there is maybe some connection ?

Thanks for your interest !

Regards

4D616327-1118-49A9-9F81-2269DF30995E.jpeg

EAD9C853-7A1C-416B-9CAF-B785C4E582C6.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/20/2022 at 7:58 PM, SteveM said:

Beautiful, but quite difficult to decipher. Hopefully someone with a high level of calligraphic/sōsho/grass script reading skills can take a look.

Turns out you also needed to be proficient in "hentaigana". The 川 certainly threw me, as I, too, expected this to be some poem talking about nature. Even with the clues of "hatsu yume", it totally slipped under my radar. 

But its a classic use of hentaigana. If any of you are wondering how you get は and つ from those first two characters, its not very intuitive.

Much respect to Morita-san. 

hentaigana.png

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..