Kasama Ikkansai Shigetsugu Gendaito

Itomagoi

“於東都笠間一貫斎繁継” (Oite Tōto … as you said)

For the other inscription I can imagine it reads….

“東都住妙法真義作” (Tōto Jū Myōhō Shingi saku)

…no warranty of course 😉

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, uwe said:

“東都住妙法真義作” (Tōto Jū Myōhō Shingi saku)

I think this would be 

Tōto jū Myōhō Saneyoshi saku, and yes it looks like a gassaku (collaboration) between these two smiths. 

• Thanks 2

"Tōto jū" is another way of saying resident of the Eastern capital

Myōhō is part of a Buddhist phrase, and also the name of a Buddhist temple. I'm not sure of its precise meaning in the context here, but I think it is alluding to the swordsmith's affiliation with Buddhism, either as a lay-priest, or perhaps the forge was on/near the grounds of a Buddhist temple. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saneyoshi (真義) (Kato Ichitaro (加藤一太郎);

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/tokyosmi.htm

Saneshige (真重), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Tōkyō – „Saneshige“ (真重), civilian name „Katō Kazutarō“ (加藤一太郎), he worked as rikugun-jumei-tōshō
Index of Japanese Swordsmiths N-Z Markus Sesko

Can Ichitaro also be read as Kazutarō? Perhaps Saneyoshi is Saneshige. If someone has more information about this smith I would be grateful.

Yes, 一太郎 is read either as Kazutarō or Ichitarō. Both are common readings. I would defer to Markus's research on this, and say that Kazutarō is probably the correct reading in this case, but Chris Bowen (who is also a poster here, along with Markus) may have his own research that shows the other reading is correct. 

It means "quench". The person who wrote the registration card used the wrong kanji. It should be

淬刄 

Other variations are possible. So Saneyoshi was in charge of making the blade, and Shigetsugu was in charge of the final firing and quenching, which I think is probably the most difficult part of sword-making.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..