Any books that I need to add to this collection?

Hi all

It looks like I might reached the end of the book collection. 

But im considering buying yuri hachlak endos book to add to this collection is It worth it? Also any books that I need to add ? 

Please take a look at the photo and tell me what you would add. Thats my collection so far.

Thanks 

20220715_145659.jpg

Paz - not enough just to "buy" the books, you gotta read them! Memorize, cross-check, contrast and compare. This is an excellent start. Where you go next largely depends on your tastes, desires, unanswered questions that develop from your reading these introductory books.

If you already have a particular area of interest we are happy to point you to references that will further your study. One precaution that I heard early on; "If you can't read it, you don't need it!" You can easily go bankrupt and get buried under all the great Japanese sword books out there but if you can't understand what they are telling you they will be of little help. Take your time, study. One way to solve this problem of course is to learn to read!

-tch

• Like 2

Sorry Thomas 😆 yes I've read them. There not just sat on the shelf. I have been over them through, however not enough. My specific area I'm looking at are koto blades which is a large area indeed. 

The first two books are similar and for beginners and intermediate. 

Kokans book is fantastic for learning about dens throughout the eras and sword smiths. And is my reference book. 

Seskos book is great again, but is centered around kantei. 

My biggest issue in the UK is that we don't get as many shows, or places to view these blades unlike the USA. Having a blade in hand makes a huge difference. The only thing I'm hoping for is a token meeting closer to London soon. 

The books I have in mind are yuri endos book, however that knowledge may be covered already in leon kappa and clives book. Otherwise I think I might be done in need for books and keep on reading these as suggested.  

Thanks 

Excellent!

When I started out and told my teachers that I was interested in Shinshin-to they all laughed, "You have to study Koto!" so you're in good company. It is a huge area indeed but that is what makes it all so enjoyable.

Roughly there are four paths; Art Appreciation - study of the swords as art and kantei is the tried and true method for gaining knowledge in this area. Craftwork - construction, molding, forging, polishing, all the things that attract the "Hammer Monkeys". Fittings - mountings and all the bits and bobs that adorn the sword. History - the context, politics, fads, art and societies that influenced the sword. (I fall mostly into this last category) However you will see overlap in all these areas and long time students will understand you have to have knowledge, at least a little bit, in each of these areas for true appreciation.

Ms. Halchaks book contains much the same information as what you already have but presented in interesting ways that may help cement some in your minds eye that others do not. Lonnie Kapps book is a must for everyone - no other book presents the processes of construction, forging and polishing in an understandable format like The Craft of the Japanese Sword. Of course if you want to delve deeper into this area his newer books provide lots of great information.

On kantei in a swordless world - for more than ten years I studied the paper kantei (Shijo kantei) and monthly kantei notes in the NBTHK and NTHK magazines - when I couldn't read Japanese and I had no ready access to live blades. Once I got to Japan I had to learn a whole new set of kantei rules when looking at  the real thing but that early study helped immensely. I recommend you join the NTHK and NBTHK and any other organization ;-) offering regular "paper kantei" these challenges help you to see swords the way the Japanese do and cement the terms and their importance in your minds eye. Do this and when the Society does start meeting again you'll be ready!

-tch

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@Toryu2020 Thanks Tom for your advice and time. Im interested in the NBTHK kantei posts and il check them out now. Otherwise il keep my money for now. I'm tempted to pick up hachlaks book when the price drops just to see her perspective. 

Thanks 

One of members was asking the same questions and one of the sources that happened to pop into my head is nihonto.com - Fred has been president for years and was writing articles every month for the last twenty plus - many of those articles are on his website (under ARTICLES)  and they are illustrated with Juyo level sword blades and oshigata. A great reference if you are looking for info on a particular artists or school.

He recently re-did the website so not all the articles are there but if you have someone in mind I am sure he would send you his write up if you asked...

-tch

www.nihonto.com

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..