Type 98 sword with unusual mark on tang

Butch

Recently picked up this battle used sword .

The blade is made by Yushu Hojo Ju Hiromasa Saku.

The blade is in very good condition …

the only problem being is it still as the remnants of the thick arsenal grease on it .

when removing the Habaki on both sides of the blade are markings ?

The Tsuka shows evidence of a removal of a Mon.

The Saya again shows evidence of combat use which looks like bullet damage to the edge of the saya .

Regarding the grease does anyone know how to remove it ,71BE3C4A-7554-4B31-A8FF-969B61D62E24.thumb.jpeg.f7b1b409be6dfc7b0d2deeba7ca7e193.jpeg587560A1-DBCF-45DF-A7B0-1579ABF6B5DA.thumb.jpeg.1462955e09d1fd57c76e65aa705cf6a6.jpeg7D97219B-F9C7-4716-9975-BFA77AB20BC8.thumb.jpeg.293b79595935647c899cd626f0dd43a1.jpeg

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Many thanks Gareth

Nice gunto, Gareth!

It appears from your photos that the oil is cosmoline.  G.I.s coated swords (and I think other weapons) with it when returning home.  It can be safely removed and many discussions have taken place about how to do that.  You can search 'remove cosmoline' and get 32 pages.  Here's one where Zook describes his favorite method:

Cosmoline for Showato Blade

The writing is in the location where polisher stripes are normally seen.  Hopefully someone will translate for you soon!  Very curious, indeed.

Looks like

御研 = sword polishing. Not sure of the pronunciation. "miken" I think. 

耕觀 = probably the name of the polisher. Again, unsure of the pronunciation. "Kōkan" maybe. Nothing comes up in a search for that name. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Butch said:

Having looked on the net I did find a sword polisher Ko-Kan Nagayama?

Here are the characters for Nagayama Kōkan 永山・光幹 courtesy of the NDL.  Unlikely this inscription is referring to him.

Edited by Kiipu

3 hours ago, SteveM said:

Looks like

御研 = sword polishing. Not sure of the pronunciation. "miken" I think. 

耕觀 = probably the name of the polisher. Again, unsure of the pronunciation. "Kōkan" maybe. Nothing comes up in a search for that name. 

Found 觀耕台(farming observe platform)

https://www.meet99.com/jingdian-xiannongtan-36495.html

656ea4fdly1h3a8246xekj217y0u00vx.jpg

656ea4fdly1h3a82k43buj21900u0jx7.jpg

• Wow 1

23 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

Found 觀耕台 (farming observe platform)

The wrong order of characters my friend.  In this case, 觀耕台 means "viewing platform" while I think the characters would more likely be in the order of 耕觀?  Me thinks Trystan has been imbibing on 烧酒 shāojiǔ!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Kiipu said:

The wrong order of characters my friend.  In this case,  觀耕台 means "viewing platform" while I think the characters would more likely be in the order of 耕觀.  Me thinks Trystan has been imbibing on 烧酒/燒酒 !

I was trying to search 耕觀 first, but nothing came up, so I decided to try the reverse and see what it would be.かんぱい!:laughing:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Nick Komiya 2022-07-15 12:12 PM

耕觀 御研
Koukan Otogi (polished by Koukan) is the sensible way to read it.  耕 means to till the soil and 觀 means to observe.  Not very common kanjis in Japan, so polisher may have been Chinese.

I asked Nick Komiya over at WRF to take a look at this and above is his reply.

• Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..