Type 98 Green Gunto Saya ??

dwmc

Ohmura's "Military Swords of Imperial Japan" has an example of a Bluish Green type 98 Gunto saya among several of the more common colors.

My questions is, out of all the years I've followed the NMB, I can't recall seeing even one of the Green Saya's.

Was this color saya more of an anomaly, or was it simply a color rarely chosen ???

Does anyone have one of these green colored saya's? I would think that if anyone had an example, it would be Neil (IJASWORDS) from Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Dave M.

24 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

In the photo it almost looks like polished & lacquered sharkskin, but difficult to tell with the resolution (common with the images on Ohmura).

On high resolution, I see what your saying, it does appear possibly a shark skin.

Do you ever recall a Type 98 gunto showing up on the board with this variation of saya ? I think this may be a rare Saya indeed !

Dave

Hopefully, someone will own and provide a photo of Type 98 with the green color variation saya, and additonal information as to it's construction material.

6 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Sharkskin saya have definitely come up, but not in that colour.

Yes, have seen many Sharkskin saya's, but agree, green would be an odd color.

Thanks again,

Dave M.

9 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Here’s one with a Mantetsu in it:

Thanks Bruce, This is exactly the Saya color variation I was thinking of, perfect example !  The look of wwll era, age appropriate, excellent...

You've established there are a least a few out there.

Thanks again,

Dave

10 hours ago, Itomagoi said:

Hey Dave,

sry, I'm late, but this is my or better it was my Emura-to with green Saya as an example :-)

Emura 2.png

No problem Peter, all input appreciated, it's becoming apparent to me there are even a few slight variations in what could be considered traditional  "Gunto green" as John and Gareth have shown.

After looking closer at Victor's Mantetsu saya, which Bruce shared, it appears to be a greenish paint possibly applied post war.

Again, all input is greatly appreciated, however, yours appears to be the closest to the "Bluish Green" saya color variation displayed in Ohmura's Gunto Site, however, I'm not sure we've quite got a match yet.

I'm beginning to suspect that very specific Bluish Green saya color variation is extemely rare, if not produced in any number at all, an anomaly indeed.

Perhaps one will eventually show up!

Thank you all for the effort,

Dave M.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 7/11/2022 at 8:54 PM, dwmc said:

Further research indicates green lacquer or paint over metal.

2021263562_Type98guntogreensaya.thumb.jpg.af2b552901cd9fcdbf471c74e074fa21.jpg

Dave M.

!

Very rare green saya color variation. Appears WWll era. Close to the color shown on Ohmura's Gunto site. Sword is for sale on Ebay presently.

Dave M.

image.thumb.png.4b487310dd2f488298ca9b9d4ecf3aa0.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1