Seem legit? Want to attempt to purchase my first real nihonto...

Robbin

I think it’s worth posting yet another Darcy article https://web.archive.org/web/20201201120419/https://blog.yuhindo.com/the-humble-wakizashi/

A mumei wakizashi is going to have limited resale value, and eBay will often overprice (because the huge fees sellers are charged), so make sure you don’t pay too much.

That said I found study pieces helpful, I had many books but without looking at real examples it was hard to get what was chikei and was was a scratch. If you can get something in decent polish and it’s well priced and it helps you, good. Just keep in mind a lot of study piece swords won’t resell for a lot.

As for this sword, I don’t see any serious kizu, the area you circled looks like rust and hadori having come off. If I were you I would make sure I don’t over pay and I would check for flaws.

In all honesty the sellers here including dealers are much safer to buy from and most give much better deals. I’ve pretty much quit eBay and done my buying here.

• Like 3

I will do my usual stunt of being controversial. Its obvious the poster is trying to buy CHEAP authentic nihonto. There are more collectible blades, but...

Though not in the same league as nihonto community luminaries, a tea master to Ashikaga Yoshimasa wrote a lengthy tractate on whether collecting should be started with minor or greater objects. The arguments made are all still valid today and he personally was on the side of minor, bright objects in near perfect condition as the best beginner's item.

Well, this one sort of like this. One just needs to buy as cheaply as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nihontocollector752 said:

Isn't "cheap " or "expensive " simply a matter of budget...or is this the lesson Rivkin? 

A lot of it is, but there are arguments which are budget independent:

You are more likely to damage your first piece.

You should be encouraged by your first piece, thus it should be easy to appreciate. Expensive collectibles in difficult subjects are often not. He goes in particular into the notion of weathered being important, but hardly ever appreciated by the beginners.

You should not build permanent collection until achieving a more or less well defined taste.

You should not build collection of items above your appreciation level because it shows you as a person who has money, little taste and follows trends.

You should not build collection of items above your appreciation level because its disrespectful to the items and more experienced collectors who might have bought those.

You should not cause jealousy in certain people (Ashikaga san), who might cut your head off.

The central argument for starting with something major was always greater potential for long term learning and appreciation.

Do YOU like it and why?

Can YOU afford it and think it is a good deal?

Can YOU own it and not care what anyone else thinks of your collection?

Are YOU ok if you find out later you might not get your money back or it will be difficult to sell?

Does it make YOU happy no matter what anyone else thinks? 

• Thanks 1

As regards the dark area in the hamon highlighted in red, I don’t know what it is, but it would probably make me pass this one up as potential buyers on a re-sale will be asking that question. 

@Lanegan - as has been suggested, why not wait and keep an eye on the sales section here? There’s no shortage of unsigned wakizashi in the world so there’s no need to rush towards this one and you could well get something better if you wait. You might even find it in your own country and save on shipping or import costs. 

Thanks all, I was only considering this one because it is priced lower than I usually find in this condition, and to find my first nihonto for under $1000 seemed too good to be true.  Of course I am still learning and just wanted to check here to make sure I didn't miss anything that would indicate it is a fake or non-nihonto in some way. I appreciate most of the responses, thank you.

• Like 1

I'm a knucklehead who has also jumped in too soon. I got lucky with one sword but I've purchased several sight-unseen that I had to return and one deal that fell through for the same reason that pictures don't generally reveal. That reason is a bent blade. I mean bent side to side. It usually means someone decided to try to cut something "Samurai-style" and didn't have the years of training it takes to do it right. Very slight in all cases but I have an aversion to having to send my sword to a polisher and pay whatever that service costs and wait a long time because I didn't look at it in person first. It's not a fatal flaw but could be a costly one to get fixed. Sellers, especially auction site sellers on the most popular auction site in the world, tend to either not notice this or don't think it's a problem worth mentioning. I've even asked and was assured it wasn't bent when it actually was. Luckily I've been able to return the bent sword for a full refund every time so far... so far.

Also, if the seller sells a lot of swords they know what it's worth and will have it schill-bid up to its value to them.

That's my 2 cents. FWIW.

• Like 1

Go back 5 post and reread what Mark S. posted. I think that says alot for many collectors especially new collectors just starting or others maybe on a limited budget. Buy books, yes they are expensive but will be your best investment. After you have a few books and a little bit of understanding then go back and read Mark S. again. At that point you should be off to a good start. Come back to this board as often as you can and read as much as you can because you have the best people with the most knowledge right here. Good luck 

MikeR

• Like 1

1000$ isn’t a great deal. There are comparable swords to this you can get online for about half of that. Can’t remember off the top of my head but one like that was here. Might do better  to wait and keep looking at photos of them (so you get used to what nihonto look like) and look for well priced ones. If you can get a study piece like that for around 500$, pounce but otherwise if I were you I’d wait.

• Like 1

Thanks again all.  I would like to acquire some books, but in a way I am wary of making nihonto a full blown hobby as I did with guitars/amps/recording gear.  I'm afraid my lovely wife would be somewhat distraught if I allowed that to happen at this point in our lives.  Later, absolutely.  I have learned from you all how to not damage them (nakago preservation, never attempt to hone blades, never practice cutting with one, proper storage etc) so I thought I'd get an inexpensive but nicely made wak just to have ONE to behold, until the kids are grown and I can be financially irresponsible again with my passions. I have a couple very nice Japanese style blades (Huawei) to play with, but of course a traditionally made antique is in a different world, art-wise.  Interesting how in some ways the art that is nihonto and it's appreciation has much in common with other forms of art including music. I need to tread lightly...  addictive personality :)

Getting the best quality you can afford now can make a huge difference in your views on collecting. Don't be so hung up on the monetary aspect of what is "cheap", dealers in Japan know exactly what these are worth and it can seem like they buy unpapered mumei wakizashi by volume of weight. Look carefully at the item as this an area where there is vast amounts of outright junk but now and again a nice piece will come up. Definitely look at the sales section here and contact some of the listed dealers.

2 hours ago, AntiquarianCat said:

1000$ isn’t a great deal. There are comparable swords to this you can get online for about half of that. Can’t remember off the top of my head but one like that was here. Might do better  to wait and keep looking at photos of them (so you get used to what nihonto look like) and look for well priced ones. If you can get a study piece like that for around 500$, pounce but otherwise if I were you I’d wait.

Agree.  This signed Tamba no Kami Yoshimichi Wakizashi was around $1000 recently

hamon and hada.jpg

total.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Michaelr said:

After you have a few books and a little bit of understanding… At that point you should be off to a good start.

I will add, if you can go to some shows, or join a club to see blades in hand, it is the best way to learn.

Study enough to know WHAT you like and WHY. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..