Tsuba with NBTHK paperwork on Ebay

Scythian123

Hello,

I am very new to collecting Tsuba, and I would like to familiarize myself a bit with this piece that I saw for sale. It has NBTHK paperwork with it, which is, I'm assuming some kind of prestigious certificate of authenticity? The Tsuba is signed as well, so I'm assuming the certificate also states who forged the piece as well. I assumed all eBay sellers sold fake Tsubas, and that this seller was trying to pull a fast one,  but this one with the official looking paperwork caught my eye and so I would like some opinions on it. Thanks!

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

Hi Ali,

Welcome to the forum!

There are a number of organisations or individuals authenticating Japanese swords and sword fittings. The two most prestigeous organisations are the NBTHK and NTHK. There's some information here on authentication papers:

http://www.jssus.org/nkp/tosogu_kanteisho.html

Hi Ali, welcome in the forum. You are correct, the paper is a sort of certification of authenticity. Nonetheless I respectfully suggest that 280 bucks for an almost undecorated tsuba (and you have also to pay for taxes) is not exactly a bargain...

13 minutes ago, MauroP said:

Hi Ali, welcome in the forum. You are correct, the paper is a sort of certification of authenticity. Nonetheless I respectfully suggest that 280 bucks for an almost undecorated tsuba (and you have also to pay for taxes) is not exactly a bargain...

Hello,

Does having a certificate usually inflate the prices of Tsuba/Nihonto in general? Or are these NBTHK certificates easy to get?

Welcome Ali

Yes papers do tend to 'inflate' the price - in some cases up to or exceeding ten times the price. Papers can also be found to be wrong. 

Collect what appeals to you and don't buy just on whether it has papers. Assuming all Tsuba/or Nihonto in general on Ebay are rubbish is also a mistake, there are often very good pieces mixed in with the 'ordinary'. There are numerous auction sites that are far superior to Ebay, many direct from Japan, in fact many items sold on Ebay are also simultaneously sold on these Japanese sites at far lower prices. 

You should take advantage of NMB's expertise by seeing the reaction to any prospective buy [as you have done] but be cautious you don't give away the auction or you may have extra competition :).

For me personally, papers are the last thing on my mind when I buy any tsuba, indeed some of my most interesting pieces would never pass Shinsa. But so what!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’d say not so much at the lower end of the market as there are many items to choose from. Items by (or perportedly by) big name makers won’t achieve their potential price-wise unless authenticated. 

Have a look around the links section at the top of the page as there are lists of dealers and you can contrast the prices. 

A word of warning, there are lots of fakes out there at the moment (some are very good) so if you’re going to buy avoid eBay and the Japanese auction sites and research thoroughly first. 

16 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

Welcome Ali

Yes papers do tend to 'inflate' the price - in some cases up to or exceeding ten times the price. Papers can also be found to be wrong. 

Collect what appeals to you and don't buy just on whether it has papers. Assuming all Tsuba/or Nihonto in general on Ebay are rubbish is also a mistake, there are often very good pieces mixed in with the 'ordinary'. There are numerous auction sites that are far superior to Ebay, many direct from Japan, in fact many items sold on Ebay are also simultaneously sold on these Japanese sites at far lower prices. 

You should take advantage of NMB's expertise by seeing the reaction to any prospective buy [as you have done] but be cautious you don't give away the auction or you may have extra competition :).

For me personally, papers are the last thing on my mind when I buy any tsuba, indeed some of my most interesting pieces would never pass Shinsa. But so what!

Thanks for the tips, What would in your opinion be some good books a beginner tsuba collector should have?

Hi Ali, there are a lot of good beginners books. I like two of Gary Murtha's books.  "Tsuba"  [2012] https://www.amazon.com.au/Tsuba-Japanese-Gary-D-Murtha-ebook/dp/B008DL2E7A

&  "Japanese Sword Guards - Art of War" [2015] https://uedata.amazon.com/Japanese-Sword-Guards-Art-Gary-Murtha/dp/1495115208 hard to find now.

And for terminology "Handbook" by Markus Sesko. https://www.amazon.com.au/Handbook-Markus-Sesko/dp/3842364229

I put my own beginners guide out  "Tsuba collecting for the Beginner" in 2015. https://www.amazon.com.au/Tsuba-Collecting-Beginner-D-Raisbeck/dp/1389385639

There is another author on NMB, Stephen J. King who has put out his own beginners book based on his own collection. https://www.ebay.com/itm/394045826480 

You might be able to see if he has cheaper options.

The links may not be the cheapest available but you should be able to find other sites from the descriptions and ISBN Numbers.

You may get a few more titles to add to the list from members on NMB.

Happy collecting it is a darn addictive hobby.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..