Looking for a school - Mumei tsuba

Kurikata

image.thumb.png.00d0477b93ab95da5540d618b0484677.png

The first is Hamano school, the second is Nukagawa school [unsure if this Yasunori was the founder or a later pupil who used part of his name?]

The last example is a piece by Iwamoto Konkwan 1755- 1801 and is described as "The poet Narihira unable to take his eyes from a contemplation of Mt.Fuji and  its beauties. 
Narihira was a noble of the ninth century, renowned for his beauty and for his love for Ono-no-Komachi, an equally celebrated poetess. He is frequently depicted riding by her gate, playing the flute."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dale is correct about the subject, it is Ariwara no Narihira (825-880) writing one of his famous poems.  

Toki shiranu yama wa fushi no ne itsu totemo ka no komadara ni yuki no furu ran

Fuji is a mountain that knows no season.

What time does it take this for,

That it should be dappled with falling snow?

I also have an iron tsuba with this subject (attached).

Narihira was also the author of the poem that provides the subject for the yatsuhashi (8 plank bridge) so popular in Kyo sukashi tsuba

(Karakoromo kitsutsu narenishitsumashi arebaharubaru kinurutabi oshizo omofu.)

I have a beloved wife.

Familiar as the skirt of a well- worn robe

And so this distant journeying fills my heart with grief

Apparently written when he was banished from Kyoto for having an affair with a high born lady of the court.  So much for the beloved wife! 

best regards, John

Narihira.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tough one, at least for me.

It could fall into Hamano area or into one of the Mito sub schools from the later half of Edo period.

I look at the flowers, water, and tree execution and think somewhere in the later Mito schools. One of my favorite tsuba was from the Uchikoshi (Mito sub school) 

Then I look at the horse's head and how it is executed, and I bounce right over to Hamano school.

If someone has a more rock solid opinion, I'd love to learn what they see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..