fuchi Kashira design

DanielM

Hello Daniel, nice meeting you on the forum-

I noticed that your post has not been replied to.  So, I have tried my best to figure something out.  I hardly know anything about Japanese legends.  But I recently bought a book titled “Legend in Japanese Art” by Henri L. Joly.

So, after checking every picture in the book I found one that depicts what appears to be an old man and old woman.  It is the Japanese fairly tale of “Momotaro”.  It is evidently very well known in Japan, and it revolves around a young man (their son).

Now on the pictures you posted I see what appears to be an old woman and an old man on one piece, and a younger man on the other piece (although there are some details on the pictures that are difficult to make out).  Could this be part of the “Momotaro” fairy tale??  I don’t know, just thought maybe it is a possibility.

With respect,

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Daniel

I am pretty certain the design represents three of the “7 lucky gods” often called the “gods of good fortune”

The figure on the fuchi with the helmet is Bishamonten, the one next to him with the curly cap on is Eibisu and the chubby chap on the kashira is Daikokuten. They are quite a common theme especially in later “soft metal” fittings. Just put “Japanese 7 gods” into google……you’ll find out all about them….who they are and what their attributes are.

All the best. Colin.

• Like 4

Yes I was a little bit surprised of the "non" response about this topic..;but I suppose it is a difficult subject?   anyway I thank you very much Dan Tsuba and Matsunoki...for their proposals. I will thus investigate these 2 suggestions.  Legend in Japanese art from Holy is effectively a very good book...unfortunately I sold it a few years ago...because I have the Ko ji Hoten.  also interesting. and possibly more complete? ...but I did not find the 3 man (or woman?) in it...

Again thank you for your research

All the best

Daniel

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..