Exquisite Nyotake Tombo Tsuba on Jauce

Infinite_Wisdumb

It’s a lovely tsuba, isn’t it, Jesse? The artist’s name is read as ‘Jochiku’ [如竹] (of the Murakami school). The surface texture, termed ‘chirimen ishime’ [縮緬石目], is a kantei point for the Murakami school, as are insect motifs (especially butterflies and dragonflies), so the work is spot on for the school. The craftsmanship itself also appears to be done to a very high standard, and it has previously been published, so I’m sure it would have no problem papering again. The seller seems to be fairly new to Yahoo, but they have been listing some big names and high-end items (some papered, some not). It would be interesting to know if they are an old collectors or a new dealer. I’d also be keen to see those fk sometime, Curran.  

• Like 1

Yep, completely different tsubas. The seller does mention "Similar products will be listed in "Edo Metalworking Edition". Please note that it is not this product.".

It's very nice though. I've seen Marus Chambers, modern US smith, do a utsushi of Murakami's most famous dragonfly tsuba and it takes an incredible amount of skill and work to get it right. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..