Sado Island School Tsuba

cdrcm12

Hi,

A nice recent purchase from Grev (Kissakai) which didn't have the school identified. After some research I'm leaning towards Sado Island school, Sado Sanzaemon (1711 - 1735). There's a similar Kyo-sukashi style, with the rope mimi identified as a Sado Island example in Haynes catalogue #5, page 40/41, lot 127, image at below.  I also think the carvings around the hitsu-ana on my tsuba are some form of bean pod?

Thoughts welcome, thanks.

The tsuba dimensions:

H - 69.5mm

W - 64mm

Mimi thk - 4.85mm

Seppa dai thk - 4.65mm

756667218_Sado1.thumb.jpg.9df011eb97fb05d53395a68a1e905fc5.jpg440431954_Sado2.thumb.jpg.37fc1f248ad5f39ec070b171818fa133.jpg

IMG_20220703_143733.thumb.jpg.95df6ed57d2708c8ca7922934b95bee1.jpg

• Like 4

Colin, those two mimi certainly look similar, and I like the funky use of some sort of bean/fruit/ginger to outline the hitsu.

Initially it kind of looked like hot peppers to me... but that's a really rare motif.

image.thumb.png.21ca7a364dc207bc59eaeae027ea51ae.png

I suspect It's more likely the ginger motif that is used extensively in Japanese tsuba:

Shoami tsuba with ginger and double diamonds motif. Early Edo period, 17th  century. | Varshavsky Collectionimage.thumb.png.16c0301f4c01ded6c75ac1ae175e5027.png

You can see some "undulations" in the outline of the shape on the right side of your tsuba, which would suggest ginger rather than a smooth bean or pepper:

image.png.75103433cef870ec095f85ad70db23d7.png

I have also heard about this link between the Sado island school and the grooved "twisted rope" mimi, but it seems there are quite a few different schools/makers who also made the twisted rope mimi.

I have yet to see a signed Sado (Sashu ju) tsuba with this style of mimi (but admittedly, I also haven't been looking too hard for one either).

Does anyone out there have a signed example they can post a pic of?   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for replying Glen.

Yes, silhouette of ginger is a good call.

Bob Haynes entry for the lot states 'the fine rope rim shows the skill of the Sado smiths who favoured this style'.

Would also be interested to see any other examples out there?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to be coming to this topic rather late, but the following comments may just be of interest. I have several tsuba with a rope mimi in my collection, but I have just acquired from Japan an unsigned tsuba (not fully sure what the design represents) with a looser rope that the other ones I have (see below). It is very similar to the two given at the start of this thread and thought perhaps to be Sado work. Looking further into Sado Island tsuba, I came across a couple of other threads on here relating to the Sado School. The very next tsuba I picked up to catalogue is the one below of three cranes (one with open beak) - also acquired from Japan. This double convex thin mimi tsuba is signed and amazingly and coincidentally the Province is Sashu (Sado). Although the artist's name is not so easy to discern, comparing to other signatures I am fairly confident that it reads Toshisada.

Regards David

14B.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

19A.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

• Like 1