netsuke and ebay

After reading the post about the teppo netsuke on ebay I thought I might make some comments about netsuke and ebay.

The amount of fake netsuke on ebay is really digusting. The common term they seem to use is Meiji or early 20th century. Most are really bad fakes. I would urge major caution and advise against using ebay to purchase netsuke unless you really know what you are looking for.

The most important thing is to look for detail. The fakes often have poor detail on the feet and hands, they lack inlayed eyes, the himotoshi (cord opening) is placed in a position where the netsuke is inpractical to use etc...

The other problem is you get sellers on the net like Buddha museum, a few real ones scattered in but mostly fake trash. This seller should be put out of business. He has downright lies on many of the listings.

http://www.buddhamuseum.com/ivory-netsuke_06.html

Hope this helps someone avoid buying a fake!

though I kind of think this is typical of Ebay, Po Edo and Katanajap are two who do much the same with fittings, maybe not all fakes but junk none the less. Ebay only cares about the profit margin, not what happens to the hapless buyer. As Mah Sheilah said, tough titties.

Not a lot we can do about I thinks me.

Rich

Another thing to be careful about are the import laws. In Australia it is illegal to import ivory without a permit. Permits can be obtained, but you must rely on the seller to provide appropriate documentation. The chances of obtaining this documentation from someone on eBay is next to impossible.

Might be worth checking with your local customs department before purchasing.

Thanks Pete..all good info.

And Rich is 100% correct....eBay is only getting worse when it comes to fakes. Most of us will still browse there..but expect to get nailed a few times if you do shop there regularly.

If your seller does guarantee it is genuine, or real ivory etc...then he should have no problem offering you a money back guarantee if it turns out to be fake. If he won't...then be wary. Actually...be wary anyways..all the time :D

I know less then nothing about netsuke, so I stay away from them. The imitation stuff is just too easy to do in the East..and hard to spot.

Brian

dont start me off on Hanamoto....

anyway it is true that there are too many fakes about, and also the ivory laws are (rightly so) very strict. Thank god in the Netherlands true ancient ivory is not banned.

For me personally it is okay to own several fakes, due to the fact i use them for re-enactment.

Normally i only would buy originals on proper auctions.

unfortunately we cannot do much about the e-bay fakers, except for warning each other on this forum.

KM

Another reason not to buy netsuke from the Chinese fakers is that some of the fakes are real ivory, ivory that comes from illeagally hunted (poached) elephants.

Elephants, like many large animals on Earth, are in decline. It has been a long time since a wild elephant has been seen in the forests near where I live. Grey

• 7 years later...

Dear Arthur ( yoroi-doshi ),

I never bothered looking at this netsuke until a few moments ago ... eBay item 400802257434, .... but in my opinion this is one of the very few genuine Teppo Netsuke I have seen in a very long time on eBay. If you purchased this Netsuke, ... then you have in my opinion made a very good buy.

I do not think it is Edo period ... unless very late. It may well be Meiji period. In any case very nice to see.

.... Ron Watson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..