Shin Gunto signed on both sides, trying to figure out the maker and if this is a traditional forged blade

kealpe

Have a Shin Gunto sword with inscription on both sides. beautiful untouched sword with matching numbers on the tang, tsuba and seppa. Blade is very nice without any damage. Was wondering if someone could verify the maker. I think it says Yoshimasa but I'm not very good at trying to match the signature up with all of the signatures in my books. Also signed on the back. I think it's the date it was made. I added pics of the front and back. Was also wondering if this is a traditional forged blade? Tried to turn the pictures so easier to read and study the signature but couldn't figure out how to turn the pictures, sorry.  study

Thanks for any help, Keith

gunto 12.jpg

gunto 11.jpg

gunto 13.jpg

gunto 2.jpg

gunto 3.jpg

gunto 6.jpg

Its not correct to say Kojima Katsumasa "only made machined blades".  He was a student of Watanabe Kanenaga in the traditional swordsmith tanren he established in Seki.  All indications are that Katsumasa produced traditionally made blades in the late 1930's and changed to "Showato" production during the war.  But these blades were still handmade, even if western-type steel, oil tempered and mechanical hammer.   This blade is 1943, and was apparently made for (or at?) the Nagoya Arsenal  (see the stamped assembly number 1025, and near the mekugi ana is a "NA" stamp).  The blade looks well made and well mounted, plus hamon does not look oil temper in these pics?     

• Like 3

@Kiipu - a head-scratcher!!!  {I've edited my original post, as it was way wrong} Katsumasa is one of the few smiths with stamped numbers on the blade, that was not RJT.  I have 5 of his blades with stamped numbers and they are all at the top of the nakago, with a NA stamp and number.  They flow in sequential order by date, so I don't believe this was done by fittings shops, but rather by an Army system of tracking (reasons unknown).

Jan '43 "143 Na"

Jan '43 "168 Na"

Mar '43 "1025 Na"

May '43 "1550 Na"

Dec '44 "245 Na" (started over in '44?)

Good eye on the "Na" stamp @mecox mal.

@kealpe - Keith, are you anywhere near Colorado Springs?

He was a prolifice smith and/or quite popular, as I have 6 of his blades Showa, 6 Large Seki, 3 NA, and 1 Gifu, and several non-dated.  The Showa and Seki were all un-dated, while the Na and Gifu were '43-'44 blades. 

Can't say about gendaito blades, as I don't track them if they are un-stamped.  Maybe someone has an idea.

Hard to say from the pictures if it is oil hardnend or not. My feeling is oil hardnend. But when you took some pictures in the right angle with sunlight you see if there is activity in the hamon or not.

img4.thumb.jpg.e99c48764f9ae3a27280cfdcb0a1fb3a.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..