Ordering Nihonto from Japan (AOI Art)

Hello,

Just put of curiosity, this is my first time ordering a piece from AOI Art. My question is for those that has ordered from Japan (specifically AOI Art), how long does it take to receive my order? I ordered yesterday and it's going to Ohio.

Thanks in advance

Congrats on your purchase! 

First, it can take up to 1 month to turn in the registration card and get clearance to ship.

Next, shipping is getting better out of Japan, no that COVID restrictions are reducing. I would guess that shipping would be about 1 week...once they get clearance to ship.

Personally, I would plan for about 4-5 weeks. I know it's like a kid waiting on a Christmas gift...just can't wait!!!!! Congrats again.

Dan

I've purchased a Tanto, Naginata (just got it, about 45 days total to get here.), Yari, and a Wak from AOI-Art.

The only issue I have had with them was on my last order (the Naginata).  They did not send it to my current address (which was on the order) but sent it to a previous address of mine.  Thankfully, the old house was only 45 minutes from my current location and the people living in the home were extremely nice and returned the packages to me. 

Naginata.19245-2.jpg

• Love 2

My purchases from Aoi Art have all come pretty quickly. The export permits took about two weeks, and then another week for shipping to Canada. Where I faced delays was paying FedEx for the import fees and getting them to actually bring the parcels to my home. Even though I have a FedEx account, they would call me to ask how I wanted to pay the fees even though I have a credit card on file with them.

3 hours ago, ckaiserca said:

My purchases from Aoi Art have all come pretty quickly. The export permits took about two weeks, and then another week for shipping to Canada. Where I faced delays was paying FedEx for the import fees and getting them to actually bring the parcels to my home. Even though I have a FedEx account, they would call me to ask how I wanted to pay the fees even though I have a credit card on file with them.

Oh, I did not know this..

So once the permit is approved, they will contact my for an additional fee for mailing?

1 hour ago, Spunjer said:

Oh, I did not know this..

So once the permit is approved, they will contact my for an additional fee for mailing?

Aoi Art's prices usually include the shipping fee. In some cases it is separate. In my case, the fees were the import costs. As the swords were antiques, there were no duties to be paid, but GST in Ontario is 13% and is payable on just about everything. FedEx also has its own brokerage fees that have to be paid. 

• Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..