something new for me, a Showa era sword with a big Shinto smiths name - gimei with a stamp

has anyone seen something like this before?  Maybe i have just missed it, but it seems unusual. I came by a katana signed Tsuda Sukehiro, looked obviously gimei but i was surprised to see it had a Showa stamp.  Is this unique or have i just been missing them before? I have seen plenty of Showa era swords with big name signatures but never one with a stamp of any kind

20220628_112657.jpg

20220628_112705.jpg

津田越前守助廣 = Tsuda Echizen no Kami Sukehiro

There was a gendaitō swordsmith by the last name of Saitō 斎藤 in Iwate Prefecture 岩手縣 that used the 助廣 mei.  Not sure if this is him or not.  Good luck with the search and keep us posted.

yes i agree it is clearly just a poor gimei. I only posted it as it is the first i have seen with a stamp. i knew what it was when i got it, no worries about being gimei. i know it is not the signature of a Showa era smith, i noted in the title it is a gimei of a big name. I have seen many of these, just strange it would have a Showa stamp.

Just thought it interesting so i posted it. Has anyone else seen a Showa era sword with a signature of a famous older maker with a stamp?

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..