Araki Tomei Millet Identify

Tlognaws

Hi all, hope you're doing well.

I have just got this menuki in the form of Tomei millet motif. I know there are tons of Araki counterfeits out there, so it's not easy to get an authentic one with no paper. Since i have never seen a Tomei's work in hand, so it's quite difficult for me to tell if this one is a good piece or not.

It would be my pleasure to have any educated opinion on it. I'm also grateful if there's any document about Tomei's millet technique that you can share. I'm newbie here and have willing to learn from you all.

Cheers!

20220627_232951.jpg

IMG_20220627_230929_064.jpg

IMG_20220627_231951_568.jpg

• Like 1

If you're interested in understanding more about nanako and its obvious connection to the millet technique this three part series on nanako might be useful too. In part three I discuss a nanako punch that has a hexagonal outer form, which you can see traces of on your example.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

As to the authenticity of your menuki I'd say they are fairly convincing but to be super critical perhaps just a little messy in the way the individual grains have significant metal 'smooshed' between them. On that point alone I'd be hesitant. A decent example none the less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..