Calculation of "reputation"

Hello all!

I guess this question would be directed to an administrator.  I noticed that when I move my cursor over a person’s “logo” it states their “posts” and “reputation”.  I am aware of what the “posts” means.  But how is that person’s “reputation” calculated??

Thanks.

With respect,

Dan

• Thanks 1

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your response.  Although I think you know where I am going with this.  Does the fact that a person’s response to a forum question and the fact he may not get any “likes” stifle his ability to respond to a thread?  I refer you to a thread that I started and ended.  That thread was started in January 2022.  From then until now it has had 3.9K views.  It has only 131 replies (and many of those were from the same members, as were probably many of the “views”).  So, let’s say 2k views and 25 members replying.  Now although the number of replies was good (as compared to some other threads) it still seems disproportionate to the number of views.  Out of all those views, only about 25 members (probably – maybe more or less) had anything to contribute?  I find that difficult to believe.  Could it be that members did not want to contribute their opinions to the thread because their contributions would not be “liked”??

Although adding “likes” to a post in a thread is a nice way for a member to communicate his appreciation of the post, maybe they shouldn’t be the sole basis (or used at all) for a member’s calculation of “reputation”.  Maybe it should be based on the interest and the amount of discourse that a particular thread generates.  Is that not one of the purposes of this great forum?

Just my opinion!

With respect,

Dan

Dan,
I think you will find that most of us don't even notice or care about reputation. It's part of the software, so it's included.
Don't stress about it, less than a handful even look at it. And it can indeed be handy when looking at responses to know who has been here a long time, and who has a handful of responses from people.

• Like 4

On your point about views - you'll find that there are a HUGE number of folks who read forum discussions with no intent of ever joining in.  They must simply enjoy learning from the discussions, but have no desire to chat.  Every now and then, someone will post a new topic and say something like "Been a long-time observer, but this is my first post"

Bruce,

Thank you so much for your post and the added information!  I did not consider that there may be many folks who are not members and just "view" the posts, or those that view them with no intention of ever joining in, and just learning from them.  Now things make more sense!!

Thanks again!

With respect,

Dan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..