Salty WW2 Katana

KB1107

Hello all,

I saw this listing for sale this am locally... the seller has it listed as a WW2 Naval sword. The hardware doesn’t resemble a Japanese naval sword, maybe type 94? Or, due to the lack of markings on the fittings... Not Japanese?

The sword has seen better days, but I’m curious as to what type sword  it is.The tsuba is also a bit different. The seller has this sword and another (type 98) for sale (Which is in much better condition). The listing says both swords are bring backs by a family member from WW2.

Sorry, I just saw the listing this am and I know everybody will ask about the tang. I already sent a message to the seller asking if removing the handle is a possibility to photograph the nakago. As I said, this katana is in very poor condition and blade looks badly scratched, suspension rings are missing, wrapping on tsuka missing, etc...

The asking price on this piece is quite high at $500.00... the type 98 asking is $1200

1A93667D-7C77-43CC-AF12-EBE5F02C1F65.jpeg

60D55472-37D9-44B8-A00E-6B032A55B1B7.jpeg

8A66EC21-3577-4803-A950-518B6BE09C26.jpeg

DA6B725C-F756-4003-AA8C-4C33CA500B96.jpeg

0883263D-4303-43E8-88CE-A318687A497F.jpeg

FE65BB26-CF7A-4ECC-B475-CA95A8016056.jpeg

8A899441-4D6C-4FA1-920E-C4A43EBC71C3.jpeg

Hi Brian... thanks for the response. It was just listed yesterday... he’s about 30 minutes from me.

Pardon my ignorance... but what is the giveaway that it’s a tachi? I thought that they were very elaborate? 

Hmm.....that does look terrible. Nakago is going to have to be the deciding factor. Even the minimal fittings that are there are worth $200 or so...
Tsuka was stripped of the typical tachi fittings/menuki. No signs it had a wrap would be my guess. Blade may be an issue...may even be a steel tsunagi. But easily decided when you look in hand or get more pics.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all... yes, the blade is JACKED! If it’s the original blade. Very good possibility the blade isn’t original since everything was removed from tsuka. I will definitely post more pics when I get them. 

I don’t know if this is worth pursuing or not... as everyone here knows... the nakago will tell the story. Sounds like the seller won’t remove the tsuka. I assume the fittings and saya have value... but the question would be how much is it worth? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..