Interesting Photo

"Gassenhauer".

Piers the sword in the initial photo. Look on the tsuka. The hands of the soldier are so tiny. He could not grab around the tsuka.

The picture from the odachi had a correct tsuka for a normal tall man. I bet some beer that the soldier is not taller than 152 cm. I think he is much smaller and they made a fun picture with the swords.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yup..very small soldier holding a Katana. I don't think it's a tachi. That motohaba is at least 3.2cm. I bet it's a Gendaito. Kanenaga maybe..Kanefusa?  Hmm..I think I want to find it. (if it's not destroyed)

• Like 1

I believe it is a large sword he is holding and the man is "average" sized. I would think they took out the largest most impressive pieces out of those piles. I believe the saya of the sword he is holding is almost the size of total length of typical gunto in koshirae.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jussi Ekholm said:

I believe it is a large sword he is holding and the man is "average" sized. I would think they took out the largest most impressive pieces out of those piles. I believe the saya of the sword he is holding is almost the size of total length of typical gunto in koshirae.

Hey there Jussi...I've used  picture of a regular 64cm katana  in shirasaya and scaled it to match what he's holding..So what he holds is pretty much average size Katana.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 20.41.45.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the sword bit further down is a regular sized gunto so I copied it next to the saya. I do not have the best eyesight and the pic is bit blurry but seeing how large the saya + long and wide the blade is I cannot see this as an average length sword.

WWII.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Okan said:

Hey there Jussi...I've used  picture of a regular 64cm katana  in shirasaya and scaled it to match what he's holding..So what he holds is pretty much average size Katana.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 20.41.45.jpg

Hi Okan…..how did you know the correct scale to use? Can’t see how you could scale it without knowing the size of the sword he was holding. I’m puzzled!!! Have you just made the 64 cm sword the same size as the one he is holding?

• Like 1

Interesting…..I think maybe this photo was staged for “publicity”.  Trying to shift a pile of swords with a shovel would more than likely end up with the man wielding the shovel getting badly injured…….sharp blades falling from saya etc. Would  have been quicker to pick them up!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..