Unusual metal Mekugi

Good morning Gentlemen,

I have recently acquired an Officer’s sword surrendered in Singapore.

It has an unusual metal Mekugi, which I think may be screw threaded.

Before I apply gentle persuasion, I wonder if anyone has encountered this type before.

93994802-728F-47A7-BA12-793EDABCBDE7.thumb.jpeg.ce1c71f03f49dc9048d9884eb076ff3f.jpeg

Hi Malcolm,

It could be a 2 piece pressure fit (tapered male & female join) but the slot in one side suggests a 2 piece threaded join. When you apply gentle persuasion, keep in mind that it can be either a right or left hand thread.

Grey

• Like 2

The remnants of a slot make me think this was a screw where the head was ground down, leaving just the hint of a slot.
I doubt it's original and you may be able to grab it with pliers and turn it out. Maybe the old "ask the dentist for a favour" trick will get you an Xray?

• Like 1

Hi Malcolm, it is reported that after combat experience in China the fragility of inferior quality Tsuka and Mekugi materials became immediately apparent. Among the recommendations to improve strength included use of brass Mekugi, so there is a precedent for this. Whether this is the case with yours will literally remain to be seen!

• Like 2

Its in reasonable condition after 77 years, the blade having been covered with the British version of Cosmolene.

WD40 on a soft cloth has worked its magic, next is a light  application of sword oil to stabilize.

I think that Brian and Grey's suggestion holds water, and the groove is deliberate to indicate which is the "top" so to speak.

• Like 1

Good morning Gentlemen,

I've removed the Brass pin which is actually two tapering pins of slightly different diameter and, it was remarkably simple.

The mouth of the Mekugi ana shows evidence of a whitish glue like substance, which may be rice starch.

There are also traces of this on the “barrel” of the slightly larger pin.

I’m drawn to the theory of a field repair, as the barrels of both parts show much filing and angling to get a tight fit.B8A8A654-94F2-4FF5-8446-A045D2F8118E.thumb.jpeg.b3d3f1d0164d235a89e9d93a33750013.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..