Seal script on small ivory sword

pt1093

I recently purchased this 15" long ivory sword for it's artistic appeal.  I am currently trying to decipher the symbols which appear to be seal script. Opposite the symbols is the back and forth circle pattern.  The grip has a three toed dragon chasing the flaming pearl on both sides, which leads me to believe the artisan was Japanese.  I have been able to decipher what I think is "gate"(top left) "tree" (second down left), "leg or legs" (second down right), and "sun or day" (bottom right) using Markus Sesko's book on seal script, but am having trouble making out the radicals and characters.  Would anyone have an idea what this was used for?  My first thought was a hair pin or kanzashi

Paul

DSC_4317.JPG

DSC_4315.JPG

DSC_4319.JPG

That looks like a date, but I am unsure.

上兄吉日

宣和酉年 ???

宣和 (Xuanhe, 1119-1125) is one of Chinese era names.

I may be wrong about 酉年, because the year of the Rooster was not included in the era.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..