Late War NCO Type 95 Gunto

As these are decently rare guntos, here's a study piece for your eyes! Its made by Jinsen Arsenal. (Sorry for the bad lighting, these are the only decent photos I have of now.)

Story:

My Great Grandfather picked this Gunto off a deceased Japanese Officer and took it home with him.

Va6bj9k.jpeg

Csdj71g.jpeg

cwJhvjA.jpeg

tp1rLTK.jpeg

sw1TYnW.jpeg

u7kkMts.jpeg

duaBACX.jpeg

• Like 4

I understand what you mean, but it is authentic. Its a late War Type 95 made by Jinsen Arsenal, my great grandfather picked it up during WW2. Of course the story alone doesn't guarantee it's authenticity, but over stamping was not unusual for these late War NCOs. If I may ask, why do you think it's fake?

• Thanks 1

I understand what you're getting at as quality control at the end of the war wasn't very good, and the overstamping of the numbers is just one factor of that. I don't think it's a fake, but the photos are confusing, I do plan on getting better photos and I apologize for the confusion. But thank you for telling me in the first place, I appreciate your honest thoughts on it!

-Jace

• Like 1

Lovely and completely genuine pattern 6 Type 95. They are quite rare, so nice to have one in such great condition. Could you please take a close up of the serial numbers and stamps and try to get good light and focus? The combination of lines and circle has different meanings as to what the blade was intended to be used for. Can't quite see what the mark before the numbers is...

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

I have some images in imgur which I can't download for some reason, so sadly I just have to post the link instead, but it appears to be "He 300994" (All credits go to Bruce for kindly deciphering what the number looks like on an earlier post.)

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/Bx8qkvt

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vajo said:

The pattern on the tsuka looks like dremel type. The screws dont fit for the type

Hi Chris...bit scarry as the tsuka and screws look just like my 'genuine' late 95......although my blade has much more geometry and is cleaner all round. Even retaing a mirror finish in one side of the kissaki. (Happy to post a couple of pics for comparison if wanted).

In regard to the numbering on Jace's sword, I fully realise that the stamping of serial numbers on blades of wooden tsuka late war 95's is totally inconsistent and quite variable compared with earlier variations but I just dont like what I see here. 

I agree with you that the blade does look a little sloppy.  It looks like its lived a much harder life than the tsuka and mounts but on balance, I also think its genuine (just dont like numbers/inspection stamp (?) like that)

Rob

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, robinalexander said:

@Misconstrued Hi Jace, out of interest it would be good to know if the saya throat is numbered? 

It won't be numbered on the saya. It is the pattern 6 which had a wooden scabbard with unstamped, sheet-metal throat. They start at 300,000 serial range and are stamped on the blade. Best you'll likely find for stamps on the saya are the little, inverted ticks, as with the blade (that's what is after the number, thanks Bruce for the better pic). Just to confuse things, I have seen ONE single pattern 6 with a numbered throat before. But I didn't buy it so never got a good look).

What you have posted, Rob, is the far more common pattern 5 with metal scabbard. Here are comparison pictures from Ohmura.

Screenshot_20220621-192410_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20220621-193304_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@lambo35 Hōten “Mukden” Zōhei-sho KK 奉天造兵所株式會社 did use an encircled katakana HE character that looked like this ㋬.  This marking does not show up in the army regulations so it could have been a marking that was used internally for inspections.  Hōten never manufactured swords; however, they did make a large quantity of 30th Year Type Bayonets 三十年式銃剣.

As already indicated by @Bruce Pennington, the Heijō Factory of Jinsen Army Arsenal 仁川陸軍造兵廠平城製造所 did manufacture [officer and enlisted] swords starting in fiscal year 1945.  The factory inspection mark used is a standalone ヘ.

Edited by Kiipu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..