Oiling in humid environment

Hi,

I’ve seen a number of threads on oiling but I am still unclear on several points. I live in quite a humid area, mean annual humidity of 83.9% and frequently reaches 100% (during long rains). This may mean different requirements and methods of taking care of nihonto than those mentioned in other posts.

My questions are:

- Oil needs to removed every once in awhile but how do I remove oil from the nakago? I assume a cloth would rip bits of the nakago or vice versa, and alcohol would trap moisture in its porous structure.

- If a blade doesn’t have shirasaya, should I leave it unmounted or in koshirae?

- Should tsuba be oiled?

- What’s the best method to remove oil? 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol with tissue, microdear or a combination of both?

4 hours ago, Xander Chia said:

Hi,

I’ve seen a number of threads on oiling but I am still unclear on several points. I live in quite a humid area, mean annual humidity of 83.9% and frequently reaches 100% (during long rains). This may mean different requirements and methods of taking care of nihonto than those mentioned in other posts.

My questions are:

- Oil needs to removed every once in awhile but how do I remove oil from the nakago? I assume a cloth would rip bits of the nakago or vice versa, and alcohol would trap moisture in its porous structure.

- If a blade doesn’t have shirasaya, should I leave it unmounted or in koshirae?

- Should tsuba be oiled?

- What’s the best method to remove oil? 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol with tissue, microdear or a combination of both?

For the nakago I'd use soft tissue or even a non abrasive cloth. Maybe with isopropyl or none at all. I personally don't find the nakago a challenge to remove oil. Few people don't even oil the nakago. 

In koshiare unless you have a specially made cabinet or glass which can keep out moisture and maintain humidity levels. Some people use dehumidifier in glass cabinets to display. 

Has the blade been recently polished? Im gathering not . Then it should be fine it's original koshiare, newspapers can also be used for the blade until you get a shirasaya.

I'm gathering the blade came in koshiare. So that's fine. The only time I think placing a blade into koshiare is an issue is when you have a newly polished blade which hasn't been in its original koshiare for a while, and dust , debris, are left in the saya. 

I never oil tsuba. Personally 

Yes I beleive few people here use isopropyl to remove oil with either microfiber or normal cloth. I personally use uchiko, as I have no problem with it. 

Everyone has their own way of doing so. 

The trick is not to over oil the blade, and remove excess with another wipe of tissue or cloth. This stops beading or oil stains. 

You get better as time goes on. 

Regards 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Xander, like Singapore, Hawaii is high humidity year-round. I live across the street from the Pacific Ocean, so I gave a lot of thought to protecting my blades.

If you're going to be a serious collector, you might give some thought to acquiring a katanadansu. I bought mine from a fellow member, & it's provided perfect protection for more than 20 years. A much less expensive alternative is an anti-corrosion bag like https://www.amazon.com/Prevention-Storage-Protection-Corrosion-Moisture-Proof/dp/B07ZB4K1Y3/

I've never oiled or treated a tsuba, unless I see red (active) rust.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:08 PM, Ken-Hawaii said:

Xander, like Singapore, Hawaii is high humidity year-round. I live across the street from the Pacific Ocean, so I gave a lot of thought to protecting my blades.

If you're going to be a serious collector, you might give some thought to acquiring a katanadansu. I bought mine from a fellow member, & it's provided perfect protection for more than 20 years. A much less expensive alternative is an anti-corrosion bag like https://www.amazon.com/Prevention-Storage-Protection-Corrosion-Moisture-Proof/dp/B07ZB4K1Y3/

I've never oiled or treated a tsuba, unless I see red (active) rust.

Hi Ken, thanks for the advice! Unfortunately any storage boxes made of wood is a no go for me. It’ll probably start moulding in less than a week. I’ll most likely go for the anti-corrosion bag. However, these 2 recommendations gave me an idea. What if I used a large plastic container with desiccants inside of it? Like a plastic anti-corrosion katanadansu. Do you guys think it’ll work?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..