katana original?

Alex1984

Very hard to say if this is authentic. The. Photos of the entire blade, or at least of the tip and more close-ups of the blade, could help. 

I think the signature is trying to say 但州住囗囗 on one side, and then 應永四??on the other.

The signature would be Tanshū-jū something, meaning a smith from Tanshū province (present day Hiroshima), but I can't read the characters after that. 應永四 is 1397, but here too I'm not entirely sure of the number or numbers following 應永 .

In addition to being cut down, the nakago has been filed kind of crudely, and it looks as if someone has tried to polish the nakago, which has unfortunately stripped it of a lot of its patina, and has made some of the mei illegible. So that, along with the general bad condition of the blade, doesn't make me very optimistic. As always, its best to have an expert examine it in hand. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My guess is that this blade tries to be a 2nd generation Hōjōji Kunimitsu work and the signature 但州住隼人 - Tanshū jū Hayata... (probably should continue with "no Suke Kunimitsu"). I believe there is one blade with this type of long signature dated to 1428 but unfortunately I have not seen that. Likewise I have not seen any long signatures of this type by Hōjōji Kunimitsu smiths.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..