Your Nihonto

Dear Jace.

A large shinshinto katana with an o gissaki in nice original mounts, spotted many years ago as I was cycling past an antiques shop I knew.  Groaned and pulled over on the basis of, "Well at least I can have a look!"  Went in and drew the blade out a little to see a sticker, yes, on the blade, which said £30.  Force of habit more than anything else, I asked if there was anything they could do on that and to my surprise the owner said he could do it for £28.  With trembling hands I wrote the cheque, knowing that it would make me over drawn, first and last time for that.  Next problem was cycling home with it.

I still have it, papered now to Inshu Kanesaki.  Iron mokko tsuba, gold foiled habaki and seppa, shakudo fuchi kashira and menuki of samurai fighting in boats.

All the best.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Wow 4

studied for the better part of thirty years, nurtured relationships with a number of good dealers and eventually sold the bulk of what I had already collected to pay for it. That's now about 10 years ago and despite having to sell some pieces I liked a great deal I have never regretted doing it.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I only have 1, so it's by default my favorite!

It was early in my collecting.  I wanted a good example of a Type 97 kaigunto and came across one that was beat up, gold gilding missing from most of the metal parts, custom saya faded and peeling at the seem a bit, worn leather cover.  Yet the guy was asking more than average price!  After chatting with him, I learned that the blade was a mumei, Muromachi era blade, the saya was shark-skin, and it had a Fuji mon.  I got hooked and bought it, and still enjoy everything about it.  To think some sweaty smith was pounding this out about the same time Columbus was sailing the ocean blue .... just hard to wrap my mind around it!

Jace, were you looking for photos or just the story?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In early 1980" I bought this katana through a Military Sword dealer in Canada from a collector in Quebec. The sword is not papered and unsigned but has been attributed to Akaska Senjuin Schoool in Yamato tradition from 1500's . It was in excellent polish and the mounts were as much an attraction as the sword itself which made me think that it was at some point very special to someone. The Tsuba is dragon design signed by Kinai of Echizen, the Fuchi/Koshira is of Omari waves signed by Tsurhide 1800's and the Menuki are Shakudo dragons with gold eyes. The white lacing and the whole package was just perfect and it is still one of my favourite blades and the only one from back in the day I still own. Many others have come and gone and many are more expensive that this was and I am getting too old to bother getting papers for it but one of these days someone is going to get a bargain and for them  send it for shinsa. I am sure both the mounts and the blade would be given a high rating.

C1126026-3856-49D3-8536-B9BB11460CA8.jpeg

D180EA3D-34B8-4020-9363-A2EB2E899499.jpeg

CCEE5686-2A1C-4B63-872C-9B64F2532B9D.jpeg

51BE8FF0-5831-4E75-B305-2C464925D7C0_4_5005_c.jpeg

6F9222B9-E025-47ED-AF04-0D138E996E24.jpeg

570E4FC6-7F4C-4B14-87B7-CC147ADB2B37_4_5005_c.jpeg

E6C33B2A-E1D2-4B94-BF5C-8907FDF80FB4_4_5005_c.jpeg

9735F0F6-CB28-4B33-8815-5A2387DE9065_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 6

Recently I let go of several blades, keeping only the three that I liked best. 
My favorite… I cannot decide.

1. Wakizashi in formal Koshiraé that looks to be by Yosozaémon Sukesada. Late Muromachi, early 1500s(?). Wonderful hamon. NBTHK were only willing to paper it to Sue Bizen Sukesada.

2. Tantō in formal Koshiraé signed by the seventh Daté Daimyō of Uwajima. Refined suguha. Late Edo. Papered.

3. Tantō in black and silver Inaba Koshiraé by Sukekané. Lovely hamon. End of Edo. Papered.

An unusual Shinshin-Tō osoraku-zukuri ‘Tantō’ (Chigo Tō/zashi) came along by Shimada Tadayoshi 忠義 but I have not decided whether it will be a keeper or not. It may be going on loan to Shizuoka later this year I have heard.
There is a large 104 cm dedication Ōdachi blade by him in the Sengen (Asama) Jinja.

But then I have never been able to afford anything truly great or mainstream! :laughing:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..